FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Technics question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2021 at 8:30pm
I will end up getting one I know I will. There's just a matter of funds at the moment. I have been buying a lot of music lately but this is not a bad thing or way of enjoying what you have.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Mikeh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mikeh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2021 at 8:47pm
I got my Sl1200gr 'nearly new' earlier this year, knocking about £300 off the list price. We'll worth it, in my opinion. I had previously resurrected a R*** Planar 3 which I bought in the 90s, fitting new sub platter, motor,drive belt etc.etc just to get it sounding good and rotating steady. In the end I realised the amount spent on upgrades would be better used on a replacement. In comparison the Technics just works! It's built like a tank, ultra stable and gives great flexibility with the ease of changing cartridges. The only additional  I've made is a change of turntable mat and obviously using Cusat 50 cables.
As I tell my daughter, the deck see me out and will be part of her inheritance,  along with all the GS gear!
Mike

Technics sl1210g with Victor U-2
Accession MM, Majestic + Proprius, Solo ULDE
Cambridge Audio CXC CD player
Lindemann Limetree Bridge streamer
Harbeth P3ESR XD paired with 2x REL t5x
Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2021 at 9:01am
I had been using a P3/Elys as my ‘HiFi’ deck for over a decade & had a pair of 1210 mk2’s in the dining room for parties. 
Music always sounded better on the 1210’s. I put it down to room acoustics. 
When I learned a bit more about the SL1200 Mk2 (that they were indeed a hifi deck) I swapped one with the Rega. 
Even with a DJ cart it sounded SO much better! 
I had to get some hifi carts on there. 
Started with a pair of K9’s then went up the AT range. 
I now have quite a selection. My favourites are the L*nn K18 with a Paratrace stylus & the new VM95 generator with upgraded RigB CNC’d metal body also with a Paratrace stylus. 

Had a lot of really good advice from The Audio Files chaps. 
Thems what makes the RigB bodies.  

My Dad was so impressed with the 1210 that he convinced me to part with one & he now has a few AT carts to play with. The cheap as chips RigB AT91 is a little cracker with the EXT stylus, & a VM540ML for best. 

I ended up buying one of the last Japanese 1200G’s in the UK (2years credit @ 0% from AV Online) & never looked back. 

Is the pursuit High Fidelity a sign of mental illness??
I think so....
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 4:44pm
The best thing about the 1200 is the ease of use and setup. Reliability is also spot-on. Buy the best one you can afford. After using one I don't really want to use anything else. Even if I won the lottery tomorrow, I would simply buy a higher level model rather than use anything else.
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by patientot patientot wrote:

The best thing about the 1200 is the ease of use and setup. Reliability is also spot-on. Buy the best one you can afford. After using one I don't really want to use anything else. Even if I won the lottery tomorrow, I would simply buy a higher level model rather than use anything else.

Money no object, it has to be the SP10R/SL1000.

Still happy with my SL1200 Mk2. I see no reason to change it.
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic