FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Thunder, lightening, rain.....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thunder, lightening, rain.....
    Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 8:38pm
I last played any music last Saturday (5 days ago) - tonight after thunder storms this afternoon and a lot of heavy rain played the second of a new double album and the sound had changed quite radically.  

In place of a dynamic, tight, fast, detailed, open and wide sound stage presentation the sound is now ‘dulled’, slow, leaden, which lacks precision and any focus or sharp images.

What has changed; nothing in the system.

My household voltage is on the high side for me at around 240-241volts.

We haven’t suffered any power cuts but several heavy downpours over the last few hours so don’t believe the system has been damaged by any mains spikes etc and has been powered off throughout until used.

This does afflict all sources and is even evident if brushing the stylus or dropping in to the lead in grove rather than a normal light crisp sound both are more of a heavy thick brush/thud sound.

There is no suggestion of any mid-upper distortion or any such nasties.

Whether my Earth rod has been over watered I cannot say but do wonder whether there is something in the grid mains supply pollution which is temporarily causing short term low performance (which I have experienced in the past albeit at least a couple of years ago).

Will sit tight and see if improves over the next few days as I suspect it will......am due a spring clean of my external mains/rod contacts so will look at those in the next week or so.

Edited by Richardl60 - 25 Apr 2019 at 8:39pm
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 4:56pm
Back to normal now after a few days......did sound petty good though having cleaned two mains junction boxes and my earth rod connections with appropriate cleaner sounds better than ever, the crispness, details and gorgeous soundstage are as good or actually better than a week ago.

The earth rod top/clamp was very damp in its box but not swimming!  Voltage around my normal 237-8.

Didn’t follow Graham’s comment relating to toroidals (my amp has two).......sorry.

Edited by Richardl60 - 28 Apr 2019 at 4:59pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic