FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Voyager with Etymotic ER4s and Ipod Video 5.5

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
robdeszan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robdeszan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Voyager with Etymotic ER4s and Ipod Video 5.5
    Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 10:24am
Hello All, 

I just revived my old Ipod Video 5.5 installed a new larger battery and two SDXC cards topping up the storage from 80Gb to around 500 GB which I use with Etymotic Er4s (I love the sound signature of that model). The earphones sound decent already but testing it across my other headphone amps at home I can clearly here that there is room for improvement, hence the long look at the Voyager. 

Ipod Video is infamous for having low output (especially via the 30pin unamped socket), will the Voyager have enough gain feeding from that device? Also, Er4s are balanced armature earphones rated at 100Ohm, I found a post (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/review-graham-slee-voyager-portable-headphone-amp.470181/) claiming that "The Graham Slee Voyager is a good/great headphone amp. But, it isn't particularly inspiring when driving balanced armature earphones. Wherever such an earphone would suffer non-amped suckout in frequency response, it will suffer the same even whilst amped by the Voyager. That out of the way, this amp is quite stunning. " 

Has any ER4 user noticed the above mentioned effect? 

Best, 

Rob
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 7:38pm
Hi Rob, perhaps you can help answer this yourself, and for all of us, by asking Fatmangolf (Jon) the UK loaner program coordinator, to borrow his? I'd be interested to know, especially as the post didn't confirm it one way or another. "It will suffer the same" doesn't say "It suffered the same".

I will not be upset if it does "suffer the same". At least we will all know. Smile
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
robdeszan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robdeszan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 9:55pm
Thanks Graham, I will get in touch with Jon. Nothing beats proper audition. 
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2019 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by robdeszan robdeszan wrote:

Thanks Graham, I will get in touch with Jon. Nothing beats proper audition. 
I know this is resurrecting an old post but I am interested to hear your findings. My IEM route went from the Shure SE530, to the Westone 3 (sold the Shure's as the HF was poor in comparison) to the ER4P. The latter was so good I got custom ear moulds and never looked back... until now!

When I have randomly compared my headphones via my desktop system (PC > powered Bitzie), the shortcomings of the ER4P made them impossible to listen to every time as the lack of HF extension made them sound muffled, despite the HF extension being the main thing I loved for portable usage!

I appreciate they are far easier to drive than the ER4S hence I am interested to hear your thoughts. My new DAP echoes the same issues found with the Bitzie and my ER4P are now making my life a misery! I know all the ER4 range top out at 16KHz but surely my ears aren't THAT good?!

To clarify if what I hear is the same as the description to quoted then it is nothing to do with Graham's kit, simply proper amplification. They were acceptable when plugged directly into my phone/tablet.

Edited by miT - 10 Nov 2019 at 10:30pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic