FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

PHONO Stages.... Oh No.... help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Lucabeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucabeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 7:56am
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Some cartridges are toppy, some recessed, and some just right, yet the poor old phono stage designer has to please all whilst making the frequency response as faithful to the standard as possible.

For what I am concerned, my AT440MLa (universally considered "toppy") into your Reflex M is not bright at all, just perfect (and I usually HATE a bright sound). So, good job! But that's just my ears!
Lucabeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucabeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 7:58am
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Earlier today I was running an Ortofon 2M Bronze into my Accession M, and having read what John said was getting into a bit of a tizz, because it sounded a bit on the thin/bright side.

Definitely not thin, or dry, it's a very liquid sound with a generous but not overbearing low end helping.

Again, same here for me with the Bronze and the Reflex. Just perfect. On the contrary, it was with the Black that I found highs (cymbals, etc) slightly hot and "ringing".

patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by Lucabeer Lucabeer wrote:

For what I am concerned, my AT440MLa (universally considered "toppy") into your Reflex M is not bright at all, just perfect (and I usually HATE a bright sound). So, good job! But that's just my ears!

RE: the 440, there is frequency peaking around 10Khz or so, and it's pretty prominent. This is at 47K ohm loading with 100pf at the phono stage + common cabling (add another 100pf or so). That's what makes it sound bright and it's very easy to measure that with a test LP that has a frequency sweep.

Load the 47K down to 39K with resistive loading plugs and it will tame that peak as I showed in my graph upthread. 

It's a quirk of the cartridge. Can't blame a "faithful" RIAA phono stage for not fixing a cartridge problem. 

It's like taking a pair of speakers that have very prominent peaking, then blaming a "flat" amplifier for not taming the peaking. 

Here is graph of the 440mla FR as done by Miller Audio Research. 

The 440mlb will have the same type of peaking you see in the graph as these carts are nearly identical. The newer 540ml which replaced the 440 models tames this peaking somewhat. 

Edited by patientot - 30 Apr 2019 at 3:39pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic