FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Unhappy UK Phono Stage Owner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Pushpaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 3:22am
I'm not so smart. using play dough was a bad idea as the stuff dries out. So I switched to blue sticky tack which stays the same consistency. In the meantime I'm going to work on ordering heavier screws and a heavier counterweight.
P******t Debut Carbon, Goldring 1042, GS Accession MM w/Enigma, GS Solo ULDE w/PSU1, Sennheiser HD6XX, Technics SU-800 IA, Castle Knight 1, PS Audio Ultimate Outlet, Lautus & CuSat50
Pushpaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 4:59am
Posting an update on my efforts to add mass to my tonearm for the Goldring 1042. My first experiment was with about 1-2 g of extra mass on top of the tonearm screws (used bluetac). I have a cooking scale that doesn't do decimals. This was as high as I could go with the standard tonearm counterweight. Noticed an immediate improvement. More bass, could track warped record.

Then I tried more weight - it was 4ish grams of bluetac total. I had to add weight to the counterweight, which I did by wrapping it as evenly as possible in the bluetac. This ended up being about 6-7 grams when I weighed it. I played it like that for a few days and enjoyed additional improvements, but tonight I added another 2 grams of bluetac on tonearm screws - it's at 6 grams. I had to add quite a bit more bluetac to the counterweight. I think it's about 14 grams total now. And wow, the sound has improved substantially with this much more weight. It's almost like a different cartridge. I thought it sounded good before but holy it sounds unreal now. Everything just came into focus and the bass and treble are much more balanced now at the recommended tracking force.

Thanks to patient_ot for the advice. Glad I took it. 

I ordered a heavier tonearm weight and the store said they would add some high mass screws to the package for free. So hopefully I can rig up something better than bluetac in future. 
P******t Debut Carbon, Goldring 1042, GS Accession MM w/Enigma, GS Solo ULDE w/PSU1, Sennheiser HD6XX, Technics SU-800 IA, Castle Knight 1, PS Audio Ultimate Outlet, Lautus & CuSat50
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 5:02am
Fabulous result! 
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
Pushpaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 2:13am
It is indeed Mick. I‘m glad I got it worked out before the Accession M arrives. Want to make the most of it. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic