FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Where do you buy your classical records?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
kgilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by Bags Bags wrote:

I tend to use discogs for analogue recorded classical but stick to CD for digital recordings.  I guess newer High Res formats might transfer well onto analogue but I struggle to see how a recording that was made for CD is going to sound better on vinyl.  Am I missing something?

I'm certainly finding a lot of classical CDs at peanuts prices on eBay etc.

A lot depends on your view of Hi Res music.  Even if it was recorded for CD it may have been done at 24 bit and then compressed to 16 bit for the CD. The quality of the CD is influenced by how well this is done. If the original 24 bit recording is transferred to vinyl and mastered well by someone who understands the medium it may sound better.

BTW Presto Music is a great source for HiRes classical and jazz
Keith

Marantz TT-15S1, Maestro V2, Accession MM, Icon Audio Stereo 40 Mk lll, Wharfedale Jade 3.

Mac Mini, BitPerfect, Dynaudio Xeo2

Marantz SA-15S1, Apple TV, Cambridge CXA60, B&W DM2000, REL Sub
Bags View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 10:08pm
Thanks.  I'll take a look.
Bi-wire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bi-wire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 4:30pm
I'm lucky enough to live near Bishops Castle in Shropshire, UK, where there is a book and record shop called Yarborough House. They do have a website http://www.yarboroughhouse.com which seems to concentrate on CDs but, in fact, they also sell a fair few vinyl records too, all previously owned. I don't know how much use this might be as I don't know if they supply by post but I can vouch for their stuff on the whole. Their prices are very good and I've picked up a few gems there, including a couple of records that looked as if they'd never been out of their sleeves.

If you're ever in the area they are well worth a visit, and they sell good coffee and cake too!
Peter

Satisfied user of: Revelation M, PSU1-Enigma, Solo SRGII and lots of CuSat50
jwatson View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by kgilroy kgilroy wrote:

A lot depends on your view of Hi Res music.  Even if it was recorded for CD it may have been done at 24 bit and then compressed to 16 bit for the CD. The quality of the CD is influenced by how well this is done. If the original 24 bit recording is transferred to vinyl and mastered well by someone who understands the medium it may sound better.

BTW Presto Music is a great source for HiRes classical and jazz

I'd second Presto, I've spent a lot of money there over the years.  All of my purchases have been downloads but these have the advantage of often being available in hi-res formats so there's no risk of losing any fidelity in the transfer to CD (or any other media).
"I bought some more old vinyl today 'cos old vinyl won't ever let you down"
Majestic DAC -> {Proprius -> Tannoy Stirling | Solo UL -> HD820}
vz691f View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vz691f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 4:32pm
I don't have many choices of physical stores in Shanghai, China.  It is easy to buy new and used vinyl from taobao where there are hundreds of merchants selling vinyl.  Unlike Discogs, every used disc has pictures of sleeves and labels on taobao, so that the version/release is always correct as seen.  The media status is not always as described (usually NM unless very bad).  I have to buy from trusted sellers only, after a few trials.  Thanks to so many courier companies, the shipping fee is as low as £1

I have to pay very expensive shipping fee on discogs due to most of the sellers are in Europe and US.  But sometimes, if I'm looking at a particular release that I can't find on taobao, I will buy it from discogs.  I will first try to find sellers from East Europe.  The shipping fee is relatively cheaper.  If you buy from a 100% positive seller, most of the time, the media status is as described and the shipping is fast and well packaged.

I also buy new ones from AcousticSounds, Testament.

For digital downloads, there are many choices.  There's no country boundary unless the album is not permitted to sell in China.  Here are my list (not all but these are my favorites)

Presto, Hyperion, HDTT, Channel, eClassical, Chandos, L*nn, NativeDSD

Lang

Edited by vz691f - 13 Jun 2021 at 4:36pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic