FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Vintage Speakers with GS Preamps?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silence_Kit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silence_Kit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vintage Speakers with GS Preamps?
    Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 10:34pm
Hi All—I've been auditioning a Gram Amp 2 SE with PSU1 for a couple weeks now, and I've really been enjoying it. It's also showing me the limitations of my system and has got me itching to replace my speakers—a just-fine pair of vintage DLK/1s. My local record shop just put some new vintage speakers up for sale:
  • Cerwin Vega D3s ($99)
  • Sansui SP2500s ($145)
  • Advent A3s aka "New Large Advents" ($139)
  • Sansui SPX-6000s ($139)
I don't know if any of these is an absolute steal, but I'm tempted by the Advents. What I'm 
wondering more generally is if people have found there to be good synergy between Graham Slee preamps and vintage speakers, or whether I'd be better off saving up for something new, like a pair of Dali Zensor 3s for $549?

As is probably apparent, I'm on a pretty tight budget, so the question is whether to go vintage now or new later. My current integrated amp is a similarly entry-level Onkyo TX-8222, though I might merge systems with my partner later this spring, which would give me access to an old Sherwood S-7100A if I wanted to go all vintage. My TT is a Dual CS 5000, currently equipped with an Ortofon Blue 2M. (I'm planning to eventually switch to the Ortofon OM series). I also listen to music from my laptop via a humble 3.5mm cable plugged into the headphone jack, and would eventually like to add a CD player. But I'm taking it one step at a time.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 12:13am
Can you listen to any of those speakers before buying them? 

I would look up specs and reviews and compare them. Even if they are old you can probably find some info on them. 

My biggest concern with any set of vintage speakers would be 1) do they need to be refoamed and 2) do the crossovers need to be recapped? 

RE: the Dalis vs. any of those other options - I've never heard any of them so I can't help you on that front. I would imagine they probably sound quite a bit different from any of those vintage options. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silence_Kit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 1:32am
I talked to the owner of the shop, and he said he would be able to set them up for me to listen in the store. I'm going to try to get over there this weekend. Thanks for the heads-up about things to look out for with vintage speakers generally.

From my initial reading, it sounds like the Advents are the most promising, though they seem to be a bit divisive. Some strong adherents and some strong detractors. All the better that I'll get to listen to them first, I suppose, but I'd also love to hear from anyone here who's used them before.

Edited by Silence_Kit - 22 Feb 2019 at 1:33am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silence_Kit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 1:22am
I went for the Advent speakers and am very, very happy with my decision. Admittedly, I didn't have an extremely high bar to clear with the speakers I'd been using, but these are worlds different. When I examined them in the shop, the foam around the woofers looked to be in good condition. I'll take a closer look sooner or later to figure out if anything could be tweaked, but for now I'm just enjoying the music.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 4:40pm
Glad to hear you like your new speakers. I'd definitely look into refurbing them at some point as it should prolong their life and get you better sound. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic