New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Newbie looking for honest opinion of Revelation M
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Newbie looking for honest opinion of Revelation M

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JayBird1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayBird1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie looking for honest opinion of Revelation M
    Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 7:08pm
Jason here, newbie who's been reading all I can about the Revelation M. I recently inherited about 300 78 rpm shellac records from the 40s and early 50s, along with about 100 45s from the 50s.
Having listened to some of the 78s on my current TT, correct mono stylus for shellacs, I realized something was "off" with what I was hearing. 
I plan to buy, rather than audition the Revelation, but need a kick in the pants to pull the trigger. 
If you are able, please give me your best and honest opinion about your experience with the change in sound (imaging, staging, dynamics) after switching to the Revelation, utilizing its adjustable equalization.  

Any input would be greatly appreciated;
Thank you,
Jason 
Jason Topolewski
New Jersey, USA
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 8:05pm
Jason hello.  I owned a Revelation and sound wise it was very good; I say owned as I moved up to the Accession which provided an improvement to an already high base point which having some EQ flexibility.

To be 100% honest I didn’t use the EQ that much as most of my early vinyl was from the early 60s onwards though playing the EQ was possible to make a more natural balance to some of these early recordings removing the thinness or rolled off dull recordings, and, the mono switch does allow you to remove harshness and background noise from some mono recordings.

I have never used on 78s but personally if I had any I would have kept the Revelation as in reality if you want them to sound anything like normal you really need one (to avoid a light and rolled off frequency presentation) which I recall from many years ago.

My overriding suggestion is that proper EQ reproduction should bring the sound in to focus and balance and sound to as far as possible ‘normal’ given the ages of the recordings.  

Hope that helps but sure Jon can oblige on the loan scheme to try for yourself?

What TT, arm cartridge combo are you using at the moment?
JayBird1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayBird1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 8:43pm
Thank you, Richard. 
Truly appreciate your input and feedback. The flexibility of the eq is exactly what I'm after doe my collection of 78s. 
Current TT is a modified (to spin at 78 rpm) non-quartz locked Technics with AT VM670SP cartridge. Its currently running through the phono stage of a vintage (1965ish) Bogen RP-235 Receiver. 
Again, much appreciated feedback. I should pull the trigger any day now. 

Jason
Jason Topolewski
New Jersey, USA
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 8:45pm
No problem pleased to be of help.  If you haven’t seen it already, on the footer on The home page (LHS); check out ‘Old records and 78’ for fine detail on the various options.

Edited by Richardl60 - 14 Feb 2019 at 8:46pm
JayBird1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayBird1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 9:44pm
I have checked out that section, thanks again. 

Jason Topolewski
New Jersey, USA
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic