FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Novice - ordered Novo kit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Putalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Putalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2015 at 5:22pm
Hi all, new member here.

Sorry to bump an old thread (please feel free to point me in the direction of a more helpful/relevant thread). I was looking around the forum on information of mods or upgrades to the Novo and Genera. I am very interested in DIY audio and I love the aspect of being able to swap different components to customize or match the sound to the rest of your set-up (as I am sure you all are).

I have a little bit of soldering experience and I am hoping the more projects I undertake, coupled with a lot of research, I may start to understand and build audio circuitry.

My plan is to start with the genera and move on to the novo. Any tips, tricks, mods or encouragement is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick

My current set up is:

P******t Debut Carbon w/ Speedbox SE, Audio Technica AT440MLa

Bellari VP129 w/ Sovtek 12ax7lps, Upgraded Op-amps and Caps 

Yaquin MC-10L w/ Mullard el34, Sovteks, Upgraded Caps and Pots  

TriTrix MTM TL Floor standing speakers from Parts Express, Velodyne MiniVee 8” Sub

Sennheiser HD 558

morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2015 at 5:36pm
Welcome to the forum, Nick! Smile

My own DIY skills are non-existent, but I'm sure some of our more adventurous folk will be along soon to help out!
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2015 at 6:27pm
Hi Nick and welcome.
If you build the Genera, the only mod you should contemplate is the PSU1 power supply. Just because it's a kit at a bargain price don't be fooled into thinking that it's sound is compromised; Graham has spent a lot of time getting the blend of components right, the opamp in particular. As you have read the Genera thread which gives a lot of background to the development, I'm sure you understand the time and effort that has gone into the Genera.
Anyway, you'll be too busy listening to beautiful music to try modifying it.
In my opinion it blows away many phono stages costing 5 or 6 times as much.
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
Putalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Putalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2015 at 6:36pm
Thanks Bob and Ian,

I will certainly rest assured in the components that have been selected by Graham. Do you think this pre is a good match to run with a push-pull tube amp? I have been looking for a very straight forward pre without any coloration and this seems to be a good place to start.
Nick
Traverse City, Michigan, USA

Debut Carbon w/ Speedbox SE, Audio Technica AT440MLa
Yaquin MC-10L w/ Mullard el34, Sovteks

tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2015 at 6:51pm

Hi Nick and another welcome from me,

seems a little odd to be answering a question about the Genera in a Novo thread, but for what it is worth, I have run nearly all of the phono stages with a variety of valve amps over the last 8 or 9 years and am aware of at least one other member here who also has used a number of them with various valve amps over the last 5 or 6 years.

The fact that we continue to do so, should provide some reassurance that you should not find any incompatibilities, nor is there any reason why there should be, given competent design and construction of the valve amp.

Short answer, this is a good phono pre to run with any amp and speakers, the better they are, the better you will appreciate it.

Edited by tg - 01 Dec 2016 at 9:26am
Tony G
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic