FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Personal preferences

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 10:52pm
£3.99 is what one of my mid 70s LPs cost. Nearly 7% of my weekly pay.

Prices do double every 10 years in real terms (try comparing food prices!) and so counting on... 80s, 90s, 00s, and now, so £3.99 became £8, then £16, then £32, and now £64!

But by subsidising imports from you know where - by going back on Wilberforce and encouraging slave labour (NIMBY style!) - UK PLC managed wage deflation almost to the point of almost making the country's mid-earners pay 40% tax! (and we all know who wanted to keep it like that!)

So that's why £30 sounds expensive for a vinyl LP! Long live vinyl! Boo to UK PLC managers (the idiots at Westminster).

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 11:14pm
Although I did recently buy a limited edition 4LP boxset for the video game Okami for £75 even though I have nothing to play it on. Bought it for the artwork and have been enjoying the FLAC download supplied with enclosed code.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 11:54am
Graham's point about inflation is well made. I would venture than the shrinkage in confectionery items was paralled with cheaper and recycled materials in mass produced records.

I still buy new records but usually remasters like the Kate Bush LP's that came out this month. The vast majority of my LP purchasing is from charity shops rather than car boot sales but Ash's earlier point is a good one. Aside from the record handling in place of pressing a play button, the record sleeves and reading material are a lot easier to read than those in CD's. In fact I just rip my CD's nowadays but still have a CD player that is connected to the Majestic's DAC.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 9:23am
I like to buy a lot of second hand records but local sources are disappearing.  There used to be 5 or 6 independent record shops in Tunbridge Wells.  
Now only 1 survives & that is due to close any day. 

Shame as I only like to play vinyl at home. 

You’d think there’d be a ready market for second hand vinyl. 
Is the pursuit High Fidelity a sign of mental illness??
I think so....
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 3:44pm
Here in the U.S., the second hand vinyl market appears to be doing well but the trend at shops I have noticed over the last few years is the prices going up and the condition of the vinyl going down. This is especially true w/r/t any popular record like common/popular classic rock titles and so on. 

There are limits to what I will pay for any LP and condition is paramount for me. I get around this by going against what is trendy. I've focused more on less popular bands and artists, or under-appreciated records from well-known artists. 

For example, 50s and 60s hard bop is really hot right now here, especially certain artists and labels. Early pressings of the most desirable records have reached insane pricing levels and the less desirable pressings are inflated as a result, not to mention the ever present condition issues. So what do I do? I focus on 70s jazz, especially less appreciated artists and titles. To me this stuff highly undervalued outside of a handful of artists and labels. Same thing with select titles from the 80s - everyone assumes there was only Kenny G style smooth jazz in the 80s so hardly anyone is buying it. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic