FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Trouble with Goldring 1042

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by morris_minor morris_minor wrote:

I used a G1042 on a GyroSE/Tecnoarm with my Reflex M for many years - and was very, very happy with it.

Although a Gyro and Technoarm is definitely not in my near future (very nice gear there), I can confirm that the Reflex M works a lot better with my Goldring 1042 than my current preamp. I'll write more in another thread, but it appears most of the problem I had with the 1042 was related to the high output creating overload in the one of the gain stages of my phono pre. The maker didn't stress test it for cartridges with higher output like this one. Clearly GS did, because even on very LOUDLY cut records I'm not getting the grainy distortion and exaggerated sibilance with the Reflex M. Why other phono preamp manufacturers don't account for this kind of thing is beyond me. 

In short, the Reflex M allows the cartridge to sing, while other phono preamps don't. 

Now, I still think there are some areas where my Stanton/Jico Shibata does better than the Goldring. It has wider stereo separation, more top end air, etc. However, I am finally hearing what the Goldring is really capable of. 
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 3:39pm
Thanks for letting us know how it worked out. The 1042 does a good job for the money and I can see how a lesser preamp can get in the way.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic