FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Solo ULDE not loud enough?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RolandG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RolandG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solo ULDE not loud enough?
    Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 1:20pm
Hi all,

I recently bought a Solo ULDE here and have connected it directly to my Revelation MM phono preamp (cartridge is a Dynavector 10x5 HOMC). Headphones are AKG K701.

When listening to my LPs, I have to turn up the volume on the Solo all the way to the very end, and even then it's just barely loud enough for normal listening. Maybe it's some kind of user error, but after reading some posts here in the forum, I have thought that the Solo would have enough gain to use it directly with a phono preamp.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Roland
Greetings from Frankfurt am Main,
Roland
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 4:21pm
Hi Roland, firstly welcome to our little corner of the internet.

Either you like it very loud or there is a fault with one or both of our products.

I don't have that cartridge but I do have some low output MM cartridges which have a similar output, and using the K701 I would soon damage my hearing if I advanced the ULDE volume control much further than half way (but it is designed for fully clockwise operation because it saves on having a gain control which would change the character of the sound).

We are always very willing to fully test our products if you feel they are faulty, but it is such a shame that the distanced would make postage expensive. Nevertheless the offer is there.

We always advise that use is made of our loaner program before purchase and say "Give them a try" on our home page. OK, it is a bit late for that, but your dealer might take the ULDE back if it doesn't make you happy. I know I'd prefer it that way, because I don't want our customers ever to be unhappy.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
RolandG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RolandG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 4:31pm
Thanks Graham,

no, I'm not particularly fond of extreme volume, but the volume in the combination I described is far from it. Hearing damage is impossible, even with the volume control fully clockwise. The Revelation MM is working properly, giving me a very fine performance when fed into my Primaluna amp.

I will test further and - should the problem prevail - send it back (I bought it here on hifisystemcomponents.com) for an exchange. Postage from Germany should be bearable; it's not like I'm sending it halfway around the globe.

But first, let me examine the situation further. I will report back here with my findings.

Edited by RolandG - 05 Nov 2018 at 4:31pm
Roland
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 5:05pm
That's OK, just let me know. We can refund you if it comes to that. Absolutely no problem.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 5:46pm
One more thought: I wonder if the input selector switch suffered damage in transit and is not making contact? Because of inevitable crosstalk there will still be some very quiet sound with the volume control up full. This can be heard in the centre off position which cannot mute fully.
RolandG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RolandG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 7:21pm
OK, problem solved: my special cabling situation was to blame, aka user error.

I was using cinch Y adapters to feed the signal from the Revelation simultaneously into the Primaluna amp and the Solo (but only using one at a time, of course). This seems to diminish the signal strength arriving at the Solo.

Once I removed the adapters and had the interconnects only between the Revelation and the Solo, the full volume was there. And you are absolutely right, the Solo is plenty loud enough.

So, I have to overcome this particular laziness of mine and switch the interconnects from the Solo to the Primaluna when necessary. 

Thank you for your patience and your marvellous products.
Roland
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 9:35pm
That's a relief. Some amps short out out unused inputs to prevent any crosstalk being heard during quite music from the selected input.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic