FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Cartridge manufacturer specification

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Godra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cartridge manufacturer specification
    Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 8:42pm

Hi everyone,

I was playing around this week-end with Adjust+ from Dr.Feickert. This software makes it possible to graph the frequency response of your cartridge. I tried it with my Clearaudio virtuoso V2 (MM) and I was surprised to see that the bass response isn’t flat at all.There is a 5 db boost at like 40 hertz and then it gradually goes to 0db at 1000 hertz. From there the frequency response is flat to 18khz. At first,  I thought that it my be a faulty adjustment on my part. I’ve tried to readjust the cartridge and the graph keep the same shape every time.  So at this time I think that the cartridge might be designed like that. This situation made me think about the fact that a lot of cartridge manufacturer just publish something like the minimum and maximum frequency response of the cartridge, but they don't specify the possible variation (ex :+/-2 db). The only exception  I know of is Ortofon. Also, just out of curiosity, how many people have been able to match the published specification of their cartridges ? I am actually quite close to the published specification, but that was really hard to achieve. What is your experience on this ? I am also curious about how the manufacturer arrived at those numbers knowing that cartridge are made by hand. 

Edited by Godra - 28 Oct 2018 at 8:48pm
Clearaudio Performance DC with Clarify tonearm + Virtuoso V2, Tannoy Legacy Eaton, Accession MM and BAT VK300Xse
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 9:32pm
There was a post December 2010 but not sure if the answers your question, sorry
Godra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 10:01pm
Hi, are you referring to this thread: ' Dr Feickert Adjust+ to help set-up a Cartridge' ? '  If so, I have already read it, but I am mostly interested in knowing, if people are able to meet the cartridge specification of the manufacturer.  I think some manufacturer might be optimistic and some others not so...

Edited by Godra - 28 Oct 2018 at 10:03pm
Clearaudio Performance DC with Clarify tonearm + Virtuoso V2, Tannoy Legacy Eaton, Accession MM and BAT VK300Xse
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 9:28pm
I agree the specs are usually broad and stated differently by different manufactorers. I have tried measuring the frequency response but it's hard to measure consistently as the mechanical stuff like SRA, resonance due to mass/compliance, could all affect the frequency response for different cartridges. So could the electrical loading of course.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Godra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 11:03pm
Yeah, it's pretty hard to measure frequency response consistently. When changing cartridges, from time to time, I can get different reading, but it's always in the same range. I would really appreciate if reviewers in magazine would at least take the time to test if the manufacturer specifications are met or exceeded. This week-end I installed my Ortofon 2M bronze after a one year hiatus. This cartridge exceeded the published specifications by 3 db for the channel separation at 1khz (29 vs 26) and the channel balance was 0.2 ( versus the 1db).
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2018 at 5:15am
Hi Raphael, it's manufacturing tolerance because of all the variables. Also that there won't be as much standardisation of measurement for cartridges as for say amplifiers, there being vast quantities of amplifiers being made compared with cartridges. The more expensive the cartridge you'd expect a tighter tolerance, and that might be the case, but there will still be inconsistencies such as on wire thickness, magnetic strength and precision of assembly. One manufacturer might think it best to understate, whilst another might overstate. It's the same with amps and preamps where one combination of components could yield an incredible measured specification, yet the same values, same sources of components etc, on another day might produce less impressive measurements. We all have to err on the side of caution, some more than others.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Godra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 9:35pm
Hi Graham! Thanks for the explanation. It is really informative. Yesterday, I went on Ortofon web site, they have several web pages (The measurement test chain, Quality control of the test chain) explaining their quality control process and they also give details on the equipment they use. They really are thorough...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic