FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Dynavector 10x5

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
gsieg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gsieg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dynavector 10x5
    Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 1:14pm
Yesterday I spent a long time listening at a friends house to his Dynavector 10x5.
I really liked the sound better than my Ortofon 2M Bronze.  Seemed smoother...more musical....tracked quieter.
This cart has now been updated and the current model is the MKII.  I would like to know members thoughts on Dynavector...also since it is high output MC will ...it work with either the era gold or reflex M?
I have a friend in the audio biz who has recommended it highly for years.  Thinks for the money....$650-$700 is about the best available....

Greg Siegfried

Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 2:08pm
Greg hi,

I have had over 10 years of pleasure from my XX2-2 having auditioned this against a KaratD3, Lyra, Ortforn & Transfiguration and was the pick of the bunch in terms of overall quality; two o& these having unusual characteristics.

If you can find a dealer to audition any other options would be ideal though not always easy.

Others on the forum have had good results with other cartridges in your price bracket so will let them feedback their own thoughts.
Bi-wire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bi-wire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 1:04pm
When reviewed Dynavector cartridges are often described as 'musical' (as indeed gsieg has done). I'm not quite sure what that's meant to mean in the context of a music generating device, unless it's contrasting it with something more analytical; however, I can say that I have been more than happy with my DV20X2L over the last 5 years  -  it's just so .... musical! Approve
Peter

Satisfied user of: Revelation M, PSU1-Enigma, Solo SRGII and lots of CuSat50
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 2:00pm
I owned a DV-10x5 at the time I bought my Era Gold V,  there was no problem using that combination and I found it better than using a DV-75 phono stage with the same cartridge.
I did find other cartridges that I preferred, but that may simply be down to my own preferences and partnering equipment.
Having changed virtually every other component in the intervening time I do now have a DV-XX2 Mk II in my regular rotation of cartridges but that is whole different animal as well as being LOMC.
I did find that I preferred the Reflex to the EGV when the Reflex was later released but not everybody did, which is in part why the EGV is still in production.
Tony G
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 7:48am
Hi Greg,
The Dynavector DV20X-H I owned a few years ago worked very well with the Era Gold V
it was partnered with.
The Audio Note IQ series of MMs are also certainly worth considering if they are within
your budget in your area - they are excellent trackers with very good sound.
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Bags View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 2:07pm
I still haven't found a cartridge I prefer to the 10x5 at the price point.

At some point I'd like to do an extended comparison against a 2M Black.  From a brief listen to a Black, it might be a close run thing, but for most music, most of the time, at a price point I can afford, the 10x5 is still right up there.

gsieg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gsieg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2018 at 1:33am
Thanks for your input. I have become a fan of the smoothness of the Dynavector.  It’s likely a purchase I will make in the next month or so.  A friend in high end audio has recommended it for years at its price point.  It is better than my 2M bronze. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic