FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

I'm new here, experiences required

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I'm new here, experiences required
    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 3:38pm
Hello there peeps.

My account just got authorised, thanks John.

I have finally settled on my headphone stable after much shuffling, selling and switching. I am now curious about upgrading my amplification and these amps look to be right up my street.

A bit about my set up,

The Present: Audirvana > Mojo > HD250 Linear 1 / HD565 Ovation / HD58X / K240 MP Sextett / Fidelio M1 / Q701

The Past: DT770 80, DT880 600, DT990 250, DT990 600, DT1990, HD490 Live, HD580, HD650, HE400i, K550 MKI, K550 MKIII, K7XX, MA750, T51i, Y50

I am currently trying to decide whether to go for the SRGII with Wallwart or the Ultra Linear Diamond. The reason for my inability to decide stems from the always on requirement. I work from home in a converted loft/attic depending on your geographic location.

I listen to music all of my working day and love switching between my headphones as the music or my general feeling dictates. So far, I am very happy with the Mojo but I am confident that using that as a DAC to feed the Slee would take my enjoyment to another level.

I normally power everything up there off on an evening. As much as anything from paranoia than anything realistically ever happening. I would be happy to leave the Amp left on the power if it makes that much of a difference. But hypothetically, let's say that I cannot override my need to power it all off on a night. Would the SRG and wall wart be a better fit for my needs or would the Ultra Diamond still be the best option?

The price difference is not a driving factor for me.

Any thoughts, opinions and discussion welcomed.

I look forward to getting to know some of you on here.

Matt

Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 7:39pm
The SRGII offers lower energy consumption and uses a switched mode supply. The ULDE is a newer design and sounds better IMO with a variety of headphones.

I would just try the Solo ULDE with a PSU1. It is the latest version of the Solo and works well with a wide range of different headphones. I use HD250 Linear II's with mine and get a great sound, as I I do with LCD-2's and other headphones. Please leave the power on with the HFC/GSP gear, the sound is much better and the energy use is relatively low IMO.

One last suggestion is the Bitzie DAC/headphone amp if your home office source is a computer running Audivarna and has a USB output. Please borrow the Lautus USB cable at the same time if so.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 8:08pm
Hi, thanks ever so much for your reply.

I was leaning towards the ULDE but I was struggling with the power on dilemma. As mentioned by PM I had no idea that the loaner could be available so soon, I cannot wait to try it with and without my Mojo in front of it.

Yes, you are right, I have my work PC and my recording Mac in my loft. I use the Mac via USB in to the Mojo currently and control Audirvana via the Audirvana remote app rather than switching monitor source all day.

Are you suggesting that the bitzie would replace the Mojo in my chain as DAC or would the headphone amp part of it be enough to not also need the ULDE? I'm assuming the former but clarification would be great.

For now, I think I will just try the ULDE via the Loaner please.  Assuming that does what I am hoping I would buy one of those and once used to it I would look at other options for the DAC side of things.

My Xiaomi A1 also has a reasonable headphone out and so am interested in trying that as the source for the ULDE too. The Mojo has done me proud but I rarely use it portably and so would prefer to have something mains powered.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 8:25pm
No problem Matt, I can get the Solo ULDE and its PSU1 mains supply out to you to try at home. The ULDE will probably work fine with the A1 if you have the right leads, best to listen yourself. Yes you could use the Bitzie instead of the Mojo.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 8:29pm
Brilliant stuff, I cannot wait to try it.

Thanks again for your speedy replies both on this thread and PM's.

Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic