FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

New Here

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by Steve55 Steve55 wrote:

Very interested to see what surprises more burn-in time produces!

It will probably open up just a little more.
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018 at 10:06pm
Welcome to our friendly community Steve and thanks for sharing your experiences with the loan AccMC. What music have you been enjoying so far?

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Hayabusa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayabusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 9:04am
Hi, I am new to this forum and this is my first post and I am not sure where I should post this question. I am, however very happy to know there is someone I can ask questions of, particularly regarding mm cartridges! Like Shashi, I have a Clearaudio Charisma MM(400mH) and am looking at the Accession. My question is concerning the relationship and relative importance of capacitance loading, resistance loading and resonance level as a goal. If I load the Charisma at its recommended 100pF (using the 0 setting on the Accession) the calibrated ideal loading for resistance is 63K Ohms and the resonance is about 25k Hz. If however I stick to the recommendations from Clearaudio for 47K Ohm resistance I have to load at around 190 pF which is easy enough given assuming my cable component is around 90 pF but then the resonance level drops to 18.8K Hz. Is the higher resonance level what I should be aiming at? If it is how can I load 63K Ohms with the Accession? Or should I be  be looking at the 47k Ohm as the main variable? Is the lower 18.8K Hz resonance level acceptable? Really looking forward to a response as I am not sure what my target to achieve optimal performance with this mm should be and once set how I go about achieving it with the Accession.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 11:54am
Hi Ian, the simple fact is that MMs don't go flat to high frequencies and you'd be on a hiding to nowhere trying to achieve what you're trying.

These issues arise usually because of disatisfaction with the sound you're getting, or maybe you just like the technicalities? (this is not a loaded question nor is it intended to ruffle the feathers)

In the first case I would recommend you borrow an Accession M and simply listen with it for the 2 week loan period, during which it would be best not to think about loading issues.

Then after it's sent back listen using your existing equipment, and the brain through its autonomy will give you the answers.

Listening is something the human race has done since its creation/evolvement (strike as necessary) whereas tying shoe laces is also often done autonomously, but we had sound before shoe laces Wink

Then, if you prefer learning all about MM cartridge loading you will need to understand a considerable amount about magnetic cartridges, and their constant velocity behaviour, which coupled with inductance, places your (and most everybodies) calculations a factor of 1/root2 out from where you think the answer will be.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Hayabusa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayabusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 12:33pm
Thanks Graham. I actually like how the Charisma is sounding very much as it is and I have had many mm's and mc's that sounded excellent and a few not so excellent with critical listening and adjustment to a variety of parameters involved in cartridge set up. I just used my ears. I was simply, or not so simply in the end as you have pointed out, attempting to optimise or at least getting the best possible starting point from which to optimise its sound if indeed that was possible from a loading specification point of view. Clearly you believe this is not the way to go so thanks for the advice. I will take it
jango View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 4:31pm
Welcome, Steve. If you haven't already, you should check out the Accession EQ thread. There are some good descriptions of how the different EQ settings impact the music. I look forward to experimenting with these myself once I get my hands on the Accession M next month!

Has the sound changed since you last posted?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic