New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Using the VAR out on Accession MM direct into ULDE
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Using the VAR out on Accession MM direct into ULDE

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JonThurston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonThurston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Using the VAR out on Accession MM direct into ULDE
    Posted: 27 May 2018 at 7:24pm
Dear All

apologies if this has been answered previously but my trawl did not turn up anything...Confused

I chiefly listen to vinyl and have been slowly improving my budget kit for better budget kit (as opposed to NASA-level spending).

I listen to a Rega RP8 w/ Ortofon 2M Bronze into the Accession MM. I bought the ULDE for late nights and so on, to drive a pair of Sennheiser HD600s.

A weak link in my system: the very cheap and cheerful Marantz PM6006.

If I use the ULDE via the 'Record Out' on this budget Marantz integrated the result is a horrible tinny sound... I assume its not a true 'Record Out' and some kind of circuit in the amp is messing with the signal. At present plugging the HD600s directly into the headphone jack of the £260 Marantz PM6006 is delivers a far superior sound.

Huh...?

Here's a question: could I use a set of interconnects direct from the VAR outputs of the Accession MM into the ULDE - taking the Marantz out of the signal chain - for headphone listening? I'm assuming the volume pot on the Accession in merely subtractive, so I'd just keep it cranked up? Or would this also colour the sound, unhelpfully, as with the so-called 'Record Out' on the Marantz?

(I appreciate I could just faff about and swap the interconnect as required from the FIXED outputs on the Accession MM between Marantz and ULDE, but I'd prefer a more fixed solution.)

If I am missing something, please feel free to school me.

[As an aside if anyone has advice on a suitable upgrade path from the Marantz PM6006 within my system, feel free to suggest something... esp. that has a better functioning 'Record/Tape Out' - I do find the system at present a tad bright and lacking solidity in the soundstage]

Thank-you kindly in advance.

Jon.

Technics SL 1200G w/ Oyaide BR12 & STB-MXS - Benz Micro Glider SL - Cyrus Phono Signature w/ PSX-R2 - Rega Elex-R - Icon Audio HP8 Mk2.2 SE - Sennheiser HD800S - ProAc DT8 - CuSat 50s
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 7:43pm
Hi Jon,

Simple answer - yes! Keep the variable output all the way up and plug the Accession direct into ULDE for sonic bliss! 

Keeping with Graham's kit, a Majestic DAC/Pre paired with a pair (!) of Proprius amps will give you a superlative system. The Majestic has an analogue input for vinyl, a fixed output for ULDE, and a variable output for the amps. 

For a really minimalist vinyl only system with speakers and headphones, plug variable outputs of the Accession directly into the amps and the fixed output into the ULDE. 
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
JonThurston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonThurston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 7:53pm
Bob - thank-you so much for the straightforward answer and the detailed recommendation!

Best

Jon.
Technics SL 1200G w/ Oyaide BR12 & STB-MXS - Benz Micro Glider SL - Cyrus Phono Signature w/ PSX-R2 - Rega Elex-R - Icon Audio HP8 Mk2.2 SE - Sennheiser HD800S - ProAc DT8 - CuSat 50s
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic