FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Hi-Fi Choice Revelation C Review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hi-Fi Choice Revelation C Review
    Posted: 25 May 2018 at 7:57pm
Latest magazine review from Hi-Fi Choice, the Revelation C earns a Recommended badge and 5 stars for sound quality (isn't that why you buy hi-fi? To listen to music with?): click here to read the PDF copy

Quotes:

"Small but perfectly formed, this MC-only preamp is a tweaker’s delight and has some unique functionality"

"This is a blazingly fast sounding phono stage that tears through Ode To The Big Sea with a speed and precision that is superior to anything else in the group."

"With the fi nal Depeche Mode track, the Revelation’s abilities make for a superb performance too. The speed and attack coupled with the bass response result in a powerful performance and there is an appealing tonal darkness to the upper registers that complements the nature of the music extremely well."

And finally a correction...

I only sell the Revelation C with the PSU1 power supply (see https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/phono-preamps/revelation-mm-revelation-mc-archival-phono-preamps.html), and scroll down to the Revelation C part of the purchase sidebar.

Somehow the reviewer got hold of our switched mode power supply and used it with that (but it still performed!). I guess that was to make it fit the price bracket? Except you cannot buy it within that price bracket! It is £895.

I therefore suggest you read the part of the review titled "Power Up".

And another correction...

There is no gain and impedance adjustment to make it "in keeping with the rest of the models in the test".

I did think it was a rushed review, us being asked at the 11th hour to make up numbers. However, the Rev C shone, and I'd like to say well done and thank you to Ed Selley for noting it.

Anyway, make of it what you will.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Bi-wire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bi-wire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 3:06pm
Nice to see the Revelation getting a public airing but those mistakes in the review are not very helpful to a potential customer. That said, it's a pretty fair review of either of the Revelation models; they're very accurate and uncoloured performers (in a good way). Moreover, I don't think that 'forensic' is a pejorative word to use in describing this phono stage. The fact remains that if the recording is rubbish then the Revelation will let you know  -  and I suspect that's the same with other GSP phono stages too.
Peter

Satisfied user of: Revelation M, PSU1-Enigma, Solo SRGII and lots of CuSat50
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic