FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

(old) new member

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
graham61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graham61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: (old) new member
    Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 3:09pm
Hi all
Not really a new member since I joined 4 years ago but a house extension has swallowed up all hi fi funds since then and I'm just getting back to the important stuff
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 4:58pm
Welcome back Graham.Smile
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 5:25pm
Welcome back Graham.
Some things have changed whilst you were away, the Accession phono preamp has arrived, the Gram amp and Fanfare have had a makeover.
And some things have remained the same, namely attention to detail, an amazingly civilised forum and of course unsurpassed sound quality from DACs, Headphone amps, Phono preamps, Power amplifiers and cables.
Happy Listening
Ian
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 9:28pm
Hope you now have your dream house and enjoy some leisure time listening to music in it. Thanks for coming back Graham.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
graham61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graham61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 9:43pm
Hi Ian, Jon. 
Thanks for the welcome back. I'm gradually getting my set-up back in action. First step was to look at my early Rega Planar 3 (with S-shaped tonearm). Service at local dealer suggested wiring on one channel not working, so I opted to replace the tonearm with the Rega RB220, replace the belt and fit a Rega Elys 2 cartridge. Total cost of this was not far short of a new Planar 2, but I'm told by the dealer that as it stands my turntable is about midway between the Planar 2 and 3. But just as important, I've recycled a good piece of kit.
Second action was to move everything out of a so-called hifi cabinet and on to a proper glass shelf hi-fi rack, with each shelf damped and spiked feet.
Tried this with my 48 year old copy of Pentangle's Basket of Light yesterday and was delighted with the sound.

graham61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graham61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 9:55pm
Beyond that is something of a compromise. Even if money was no object, which it most definitely is not, I'm guessing there are rapidly diminishing returns when listening though ears which are now 75 years old, and in an ordinary living room, ie not a dedicated music room. Given all that, and despite its age, most of the rest of my set-up is satisfactory compromise. Amp is a Rotel RA-01, with an Arcam DiVa CD-72 player, a Denon DRM 595 tape deck and Mission 731 speakers. I also have a Project Headbox S headphone amp and Grado SR80i headphones.
When funds permit the next purchase will be a phono stage, and subject to any advice from forum members the Gram Amp 2 Communicator is the front runner both in terms of cost and a good match (I hope) with the rest of the set-up.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic