FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

What to upgrade next?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
tmoody View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 9:50pm
Sinatra Live at the Sands was especially gratifying. It's not the mofi pressing (I have a different 180g release) but it was still delightful. Stayed up waaaaaaaaay too late listening. 

The Reflex is a winner for sure. Can't wait to try the Accession. And then of course a new TT :)

Unfortunately my dealer won't let me borrow his 1200G floor model. He does have a perfectly reasonable return policy, but I hate to do that.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by tmoody tmoody wrote:

Thanks much for the thoughts as always. Going to put as much time in with the Reflex as possible and then try the Accession. Please chime back when you've got the 1200G and Accession paired - I very much look forward to your experience!
Well, because of the cold weather I've been home all day & swapped the Reflex M & Accession over - with the 2M Black already in place so I could get a comparison. 

Imaging has even greater clarity, more 'air' around every instrument & greater solidity within the depth of the soundstage, from the first thing I played that was the most immediate and noticeable change - in my system all music extends to just beyond the width of the speakers but with an extremely deep & holographic soundstage. 

Bass is truly exceptional & layered but I can't really say it is different to the Reflex because this table is a delight with both phono stages, In my own system the Technics' bass is absolutely perfect, regardless of source & with several cartridges I have run so far (but I do use speaker/room correction including acoustic & DSP). I will have to swap the IQ3 over soon!

Percussive instruments also gained additional delicacy which is another signature of the Accession although with the Reflex this doesn't really become apparent until the switch over. There is nothing harsh whatsoever about this combination of cart/TT + either phono. The 2M black was previously a cartridge I found rather clinical on my belt driven tables but with this through both phono stages it is lively, exhilarating and dynamic, with a very sweet top end which seems tonally 'just right' (IMO the Funk Achromat works better in this respect than the Technics mat).

Having lived with an 'el cheapo' Grado Prestige 2 for a few days, the only area where it truly excelled was midrange whereas with the 2M Black (& Roksan Chorus, AT150ANV) the whole presentation is more captivating and it's almost impossible to concentrate on anything else while music is playing. I do like the Grado however.

I'm glad you prompted me to move the Accession to this table Tony, the Reflex still sounds great with the other one & I make a point of using both regularly but my respect for (direct drive &) the SL1200G increases with every play. Superb... & I'm sure there are many other great tables but few at the price I eventually paid.

(....one strange thing that must reflect on the connections in my system, not the phono stages. I use one PSU1 with a mod allowing both to run from it. The Reflex now has the single positive 24v wire but the return did not pick up via the various interconnects until I made a clip connection between one of the RCA exposed negatives on each phono. The Reflex light glowed dull green until I did this but did not play)

Edited by Drewan77 - 12 Apr 2018 at 7:27pm
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
tmoody View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by Drewan77 Drewan77 wrote:

Originally posted by tmoody tmoody wrote:

Thanks much for the thoughts as always. Going to put as much time in with the Reflex as possible and then try the Accession. Please chime back when you've got the 1200G and Accession paired - I very much look forward to your experience!
Well, because of the cold weather I've been home all day & swapped the Reflex M & Accession over - with the 2M Black already in place so I could get a comparison. 

Imaging has even greater clarity, more 'air' around every instrument & greater solidity within the depth of the soundstage, from the first thing I played that was the most immediate and noticeable change - in my system all music extends to just beyond the width of the speakers but with an extremely deep & holographic soundstage. 

Bass is truly exceptional & layered but I can't really say it is different to the Reflex because this table is a delight with both phono stages, In my own system the Technics' bass is absolutely perfect, regardless of source & with several cartridges I have run so far (but I do use speaker/room correction including acoustic & DSP). I will have to swap the IQ3 over soon!

Percussive instruments also gained additional delicacy which is another signature of the Accession although with the Reflex this doesn't really become apparent until the switch over. There is nothing harsh whatsoever about this combination of cart/TT + either phono. The 2M black was previously a cartridge I found rather clinical on my belt driven tables but with this through both phono stages it is lively, exhilarating and dynamic, with a very sweet top end which seems tonally 'just right' (IMO the Funk Achromat works better in this respect than the Technics mat).

Having lived with an 'el cheapo' Grado Prestige 2 for a few days, the only area where it truly excelled was midrange whereas with the 2M Black (& Roksan Chorus, AT150ANV) the whole presentation is more captivating and it's almost impossible to concentrate on anything else while music is playing. I do like the Grado however.

I'm glad you prompted me to move the Accession to this table Tony, the Reflex still sounds great with the other one & I make a point of using both regularly but my respect for (direct drive &) the SL1200G increases with every play. Superb... & I'm sure there are many other great tables but few at the price I eventually paid.

(....one strange thing that must reflect on the connections in my system, not the phono stages. I use one PSU1 with a mod allowing both to run from it. The Reflex now has the single positive 24v wire but the return did not pick up via the various interconnects until I made a clip connection between one of the RCA exposed negatives on each phono. The Reflex light glowed dull green until I did this but did not play)

Very fantastic and music (ha!) to my ears! I'm very jealous though perhaps will be joining you in the coming weeks. Thanks so much for the impressions and photo - beautiful!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 10:32pm
How good is the Technics tonearm?
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 12:15am
I've played a lot of music & several cartridges in the last 2 weeks & nothing has sounded distorted, sibilant or under damped yet  (including some quite warped LPs to check it out) so I guess he new magnesium tonearm must be OK. So far.
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
tmoody View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by Drewan77 Drewan77 wrote:

Just wanted to circle back to say I've taken a left turn off Main Street. I was pretty close to pulling the trigger on a Technics 1200g + Ortofon 2M Black MM cart that was offered to me at a nice price.

However, I was also offered a deal I couldn't refuse - a barely used (looks new, maybe has 10 hours on it) Clearaudio set up. It's the Performance DC, Clarify arm, and Concerto V2 MC cart. All for about 2/3 of the MSRP. I simultaneously ordered an Accession MC from this site :)  Prior purchaser of the Performance DC decided to trade up to the Ovation a few days after purchase.

This is a radical departure from my initial plans, but, I love the sound. Frankly I love the sound of both, but, also love a great deal so even though the cost to me for the Clearaudio set up was more than the that for the Technics, it wasn't *that* much more. So here I am. The TT is due to me shortly, while the Accession MC I gather will be some weeks. Now, the way!

Thanks again all for all the help...
  Share Topic