FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Solo ULDE amp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
vinylmad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinylmad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 1:18am
Currently I need to use a headphone extension cable, as I won't be dragging a heavy armchair half way across the room from my speaker listening position to be next to my gear.  (Nor do I fancy the idea of Bluetooth-ing, as even current generation Bluetooth looses fidelity.)

Mostly I listen to ripped CDs, playlists and Qobuz, with the occasional vinyl binge.  CD albums (as rips) usually get played beginning-to-end, as do LPs.  Playlists are often multi-artist/multi-album - so remote volume control is kind of a necessity with them.

It's a great shame that more headphone amps don't offer remote control for (at least) volume, and that there seems to be a general assumption in the market, that headphone listeners are within arm's reach of their amp.  My internet searches have revealed only a couple of straight amps with this "feature", and prices are steep.  I'm distinguishing these from a significant number with remote control that are built around a DAC.  What Hi-Fi magazine did a review entitled "Best headphone amplifiers 2021...", and it's telling that of the thirteen devices they reviewed, only one didn't have a built-in DAC.  And almost all were limited to digital-only inputs.

My Oppo already provides a respectable DAC, so if I did add a headphone amp/DAC I'd also want to have the option of running its DAC through my speakers (and so reduce the Oppo's up-time when not watching a DVD/Blu-ray).  The issue then for me is that the more affordable ones don't provide a Line Out.  It seems that I would need it to be a head amp/DAC/pre-amp...when all I want is a straight headphone amp with remote control.Cry

Edited by vinylmad - 21 Jan 2021 at 1:28am
Colin G.

Rega RP8/Ania Pro/Aria/Elicit-R, Neat Motive SX2, REL S2, Chord Epic RCA/Speaker; Innuos Zenith Mk.3, Oppo UDP-205, Chord Shawline USB; Solo ULDE (loaned/returned), HD600; EtherREGEN;...
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 10:53am
Have you considered a Bitzie?
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
vinylmad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinylmad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by BackinBlack BackinBlack wrote:

Have you considered a Bitzie?
If it had an analogue input and remote control volume then I seriously would, so have I missed something?
Colin G.

Rega RP8/Ania Pro/Aria/Elicit-R, Neat Motive SX2, REL S2, Chord Epic RCA/Speaker; Innuos Zenith Mk.3, Oppo UDP-205, Chord Shawline USB; Solo ULDE (loaned/returned), HD600; EtherREGEN;...
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 7:49pm
A remote volume control with digital audio?

A streamer in a wired system via ethernet with stored media to ensure audio signal fidelity.

Streamer with audio operating system and a mobile phone in your hand with a complementary control app?
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
vinylmad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinylmad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by Ash Ash wrote:

A remote volume control with digital audio?
Remote volume control on the Solo would be exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for.  Input connected to my integrated amp's 'Record Out', so that I get to listen to whatever sources (vinyl, CD, streamer) are connected to it.
Colin G.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic