FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Does anyone know... Rega RB250 Q.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SiE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SiE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does anyone know... Rega RB250 Q.
    Posted: 20 Dec 2017 at 3:56pm
I bought a modified RB250 a while ago, which sounds great! It looks as if it was DIY rewired and certainly has an after-market stub. It came with a rather anonymous counter-balance weight. I know for example that some weights - Moth/Rega themselves? - are supplied with green branding elements. The weight on this arm has no such branding and appears to be unpainted. I don't know how to identify the origin of the weight - one way that occurs is to weigh it, which will give me a clue about the material.  Can anyone quote me typical weights for counter-balances I might meet?!  Or even, suggest over-looked methods to work out where this weight has come from?
Simon, Bristol--------------------------------------
Quad ESLs & valves with Mac, Quad CD & SME vinyl sources (model 10 with SME series 3 and rega-tubed arm, sundry cartridges and Gram Amp 2)
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2017 at 4:08pm
Hi Simon, please post a photo showing the arm pivot and stub with teh weight on it and we'll try to help.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
SiE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SiE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2017 at 4:29pm
...thinking about it, I already know the answer to the Q. in my heart (and my mind, of course...) eg it's a plain-vanilla RB250 steel weight. I will wield the trusty Kodak Brownie tonight when I get 'ome :-)
Quad ESLs & valves with Mac, Quad CD & SME vinyl sources (model 10 with SME series 3 and rega-tubed arm, sundry cartridges and Gram Amp 2)
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2017 at 9:28pm
Happy to help as others here are too. If the setup sounds great it may be that the aftermarket stub is doing the business and no further change is needed. Just in case I changed the Rega standard stub and weight on my RB301 (different to the 250) to a Michell Tecnoweight, which is underslung. I was very happy with the result which is reasonably DIY and a cost effective improvement IMO, if that's what you are looking at doing after investigating options.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
McHolmeM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McHolmeM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2017 at 11:06am
For many years I used a RB250, a couple of aftermarket counterweight and stubs were applied during its period of service and can be seen here. The set on the left is the Michell Tecno Counterweight that was referenced in the last post and the one on the right is the Moth alternative, this particular weight is the tungsten version. 

This might help you identify what's fitted to your arm.

SiE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SiE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2017 at 1:10pm
I snapped away like David Bailey last night, but forgot to bring the SD card with me into work (I'm not on t'internet at 'ome...) - Doh!
However, judging by the position on the stub that the counter-balance weight adopts and the fact that the Moth tungsten weight, pictured above, has a readily visible chamfer around at least one circumference, where mine doesn't, I can safely say mine is the common-or-garden Rega steel jobbie. I will post them piccies, tho'.
BTW I had a thought y'day which may make for a DIY solution worth a go, which is that brass being heavier than steel, I might buy a couple of inches of rod, (readily available from the model engineering market) and attach a suitably prepared counter-weight, under-slung, to the after-market stub by rubber band! Anyone tried this?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic