FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Christmas upgrade for my system.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Barman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Christmas upgrade for my system.
    Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 6:42pm
Question for vinyl lovers, I plan on upgrading my system for Christmas.
I'm torn between replacing my phono preamp and my cartridge. Right now I have a Graham Slee "gram amp communicator" with the PSU-1 linear power unit.

My integrated amp is a Thorens AZ-25, full tubes from  1964, and my speakers are Cabasse (French brand) Sloop M3.

I'm thinking about either getting an Era Gold V, or replacing my Ortofon 2m Blue by an Ortofon 2m Bronze or Black.

Which upgrade would bring the biggest improvement in your opinon? Is there a massive difference between the gram amp and the Era Gold?

I've had the same setup for about 5 years now and loving it so far, but I long for new excitement.

Edited by Barman - 16 Dec 2017 at 7:12pm
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 1:58am
Hi there,
   I love my Reflex M, but I’d say go the cartridge first. The Bronze and Black are significant improvements over the Blue, and the Commuicator will let that extra detail through.
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
Barman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 6:05am
Thanks! Good to know you think a better cartridge won't be "bottlenecked" by the Gram Amp.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic