FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

New furniture and PSUs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 8:58am
I did suffer bad hum when I first bought my PSU which was located on th3 floor. Why?

Cable management of the long cables which were in very close proximity to my speaker cables at the time.

Cable length was an issue
RichieCactus View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichieCactus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 9:00am
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

PSU1's best on floor. This is because of mechanical vibration which all mains transformers produce. The vibration has been known to "induce" 50Hz (60Hz if your mains is that) signal into other things. This might not happen in all cases. But seeing it has it is worth thinking about. The "phenomena" I  first discovered 30 years ago when building some amplifiers which had output transformers. I had mains hum on the output. I started removing bits of the circuit until there was no amplifier left - absolutely no connection to the output transformer, but there was still mains hum. It was because the mains transformer was doing what mains transformers do - they're constrained buzzers! The vibration was transmitted via the case to the output transformer which turned it back into electricity!

Thats interesting...  my Accession's PSU IS on the floor ... Smile ...  but mainly because I've run out of rack space.  My Rega TTPSU is sited as far from my turntables as possible - as directed by Rega.  I've always understood this was to minimize electro-magnet interference with the sensitive TT cartridges. ?

(hence my "shielding" suggestion previously)

thanks
RC

Rega RP8/Cartridgeman MM3/Thorens TD166/AudioMods VI/Accession/Croft RIAA/Arcam A85/Quad 21L
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 9:53am
Originally posted by RichieCactus RichieCactus wrote:

... I've always understood this was to minimize electro-magnet interference with the sensitive TT cartridges. ?

(hence my "shielding" suggestion previously) ...

Your understanding is correct.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
IntempestaNocte View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IntempestaNocte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 5:58pm
I was just pondering this very issue when I saw this thread.  I read in a random thread somewhere the other day that it is a bad idea to sit PSUs on carpet.  That was the first time that I had heard of this issue and I was concerned as I have had two PSU1s sitting on the carpet under my hifi cabinet for nearly a year now.  So I started thinking that I should get something to put underneath them to allow free movement of air between the casing and the carpet.  I was thinking of some sort of trivet-like affair and so I ended up looking at some things that are essentially two parallel pieces of wood with doweling connecting them to form a rack.  I was just about to buy a couple when I read Graham's comment about vibration and now I don't know what to do.  Would this be an issue with such an arrangement?

The vibration should pass through the wooden dowels into the wooden sides and from there be absorbed by the carpet, I think... or would the casing rattle against the dowels creating an audible rattle.  Anybody got any ideas. Confused

Incidentally Ifor, I've got the exact opposite problem to you as I have a really pretty but critically overfilled hifi cabinet LOL.  It is so impractical I should really replace it with something purpose made but it is the best looking piece of furniture I own.
Scott

AT150MLX > Audiomods Series V Standard > Rega RP6 > Accession MM > Marantz PM6005 > KEF Q100 / Solo UL > HD540II.
Voyager, Bitzie, AgSat90.
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 9:42pm
Wood may be bad but unless graham has changed it has a brilliant wooden rack with several PSUs in it so suspect it would be fine otherwise he would have them all vibrating at once!
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 6:13pm
Catching up with the forum for the first time in a while (back yesterday from 6 weeks visiting the family in America) - most of my various PSU1s are on the carpeted floor but the one powering both Accession & Majestic is on a small shelf hooked on the side of the main system rack. 

Reading Grahams earlier post, I guess this is just about the worst place for vibration Embarrassed so I will move it to the floor before I power the system up again (I turn the PSU1s off for these extended trips; when in the UK, I leave the GSP gear permanently on).
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 8:58pm
I made two wooden "caddies" carrying 4 PSU1s each for the road shows to save time in setting up. They are fitted with RS 4-way IEC distribution units and the mains input leads shortened to suit.

Rather than taking the PSU1s back out I left them in the caddies and I use one to power equipment in the workshop rack, stood on the tiled floor. I haven't noticed any degradation to the sound.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic