FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Hello from Dublin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
thinkfloyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thinkfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello from Dublin
    Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 12:00am
Hi everyone, 
Glad to be here, and excited about trying out some new kit! 
I got around to building a hifi setup last year, scratching an itch I'd had for many years. I'm mainly into LPs, though I did put a CD deck in there.
Currently running a Project RPM 5.2 turntable through a project Phono box mm (the very basic one), into a Marantz pm6005 amp and a pair of q-acoustics 2050i floorstanders. Swapped out the ortofon alpha (rebadged 510) for a 2m Red, and then recently a Nagaoka MP110. Enjoying the sound, but really don't think I'm getting the best out of it at the phono stage level.

I'm wondering whether, given the rest of my system, would it be worth going all the way to Reflex M or would I be just as well off with an Era gold or even the gram amp 2 special. I suspect the Reflex is overkill, but would certainly last longer in the grand scheme of things. I can see this is a common question, so I'll probably just try them out and see for myself!

Just in case anyone out there is on Instagram, you might like to check my page. Would be delighted to hear from you! https://www.instagram.com/vinylireland/
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 3:32pm
Welcome Ronan.
It's a great idea to try out as many as you can. The Era Gold might be a great fit for you
- I ran one for years with great satisfaction. Good luck.
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 7:12pm
Hello Ronan and welcome to the forum.
In my view, any of Grahams' Phono amps will bring an improvement. The loan scheme is the only way to verify which you prefer.

Happy Listening
Ian (a fellow ThinkFloyd fan)
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 7:57pm
Hi, so far as overkill goes, you will find none of the stages will be 'over cooked' but will sound better and better still if you improve other kit. Loaner sound ideal..
thinkfloyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thinkfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 3:43pm
Thanks all. I think that's probably what I expected. It may be better to invest in the best I can get at this point and have to upgrade less often in future.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 11:07pm
Welcome aboard Ronan. I have just replied to your PM. Here I suggest trying the GA2SE and the Reflex M c/w PSU1, both very good preamps. It would mean you can also try the GA2SE with a PSU1 as a possible upgrade.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic