FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Gram Amp2 Communicator

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Baflar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baflar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gram Amp2 Communicator
    Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 2:24pm
Amongst all the rave reviews of the top-end equipment, there seems to be a lack of appreciation for the humble Gram Amp2 Communicator (GA2C).  Here's a tale that ends with a certainty that it's very, very good.  Are you sitting comfortably?...

Some two years ago an NHS audiologist informed me that in America my hearing would be judged to be 'normal', but in fact, it's slightly down in the left ear.  Very slight indeeed, but as all audio-sensitives will understand, if you are sufficiently aware of what you're listening to, it can make a difference to the enjoyment of the music collection.  I decided that I needed to solve the problem of a slightly less than perfect perception at the treble end, and a soundstage that seemed much less-well defined than it used to be.

Obviously, just turning up the treble is no solution.  Whatever curve that applies, it's not going to be the inverse of the audiologist's findings; it just changes the nature of the music (for the worse).  What's needed is maximum clarity.  I considered all sorts of possible solutions... buy a new amp? get better speaker cables? improve the speaker stands? add a phono pre-amp...?  Two possibilities were frequently recommended - here and elsewhere - (1) get the 25-year-old Audiolab 8000A amp serviced, and (2) try a GA2C.

The GA2C came first.  As my brother said when he visited, "that's not just an improvement - it makes a massive difference!".  He was right.  But it showed how mediocre the amp had become in CD reproduction, despite being fed by a good DAC.  So I got the old amp 'seen to'.  That was a very good move!  I doubt if I could ask for much more from the CD reproduction now, and the soundstage (for all sources) is again excellent.  I wondered if the GA2C would now be unnecessary...

But not so: while not making such a massive improvement as before, the GA2C still improved on the Audiolab phono stage.  Such clean treble!  Even more detail, with all kinds of high-frequency percussion emerging clearly.  Of course, once heard, never forgotten.  I guess I'm going to have to get a GA2C.  (My brother has already bought his!)
Approve

ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 8:49am
That's good to hear Lawrence. Many moons ago I had an 8000A. By the time I sold it, on eBay to someone who collected them to refurb and sell on, it was definitely well past sounding its best.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
Baflar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baflar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by ICL1P ICL1P wrote:

[...] Many moons ago I had an 8000A. By the time I sold it, on eBay to someone who collected them to refurb and sell on, it was definitely well past sounding its best.

I'm not surprised there's a market for refurbed 8000As.  The current owners of Audiolab go out of their way to sing the praises of this famous old amp, no doubt with the idea that there will be a 'heritage' effect to transfer to their latest designs.  (Which may not be so impressive at the current prices... I've heard the latest Audiolab CD player and found it very uninspiring.)  A particularly impressive thing about the 8000A (which I now recall from when I bought it, 25 years ago) was (and now is again) the soundstage.  It's really nice to feel that the instruments are, sort of, set out across the room in front of you!  The great thing about the Slee GA2C in this context is that it feeds the amp with a stereo signal that gets the best out of the subsequent amplifier stages.

Thanks for sympathising with my current listening pleasure!
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 7:25pm
My son still uses my old 8000A in his bedroom. Many generations of audio component have come and gone, but I could never move this on!
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Baflar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baflar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 10:45pm
Just had to report that my GA2C arrived today. I gave it three hours or so to start running in, but couldn't wait any longer! Yes, it's fab. Having been without one since sending back the loan item a few weeks ago, it was kind of like a rediscovery. I just love that clean sound!

Two thoughts - good sound can be mildly addictive. I'd find it very hard to do without the GA2C, and the newly 'serviced' Audiolab 8000A now.  And (second thought) the Audiolab and the GA2C seem to be a very good combination for bass detail.  I've always thought that the Audiolab was excellent at providing a tight, well-controlled bass, but now there's also a remarkable separation of bass and deep bass.  There's more going on in the background on Billie Davis's 'Tell Him' than I'd noticed before... and overall, hugely better than the CD copy that I've got!

I'm trying to think of something on the classical music side that has complex bass... it should be great...

Incidentally, that's two GA2Cs bought after one trial loan!  My brother and I are jointly enthusing!
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 7:49pm
I am delighted you enjoyed the loan unit Lawrence and now have your own GA2 to enjoy for decades to come.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic