FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

RCA Capping? :

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 10:35pm
I can enjoy good music out of my laptop speakers. Hi-fi is secondary for my enjoyment.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 10:41pm
You are taken seriously Ash.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Ernie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 9:08am
Originally posted by Ash Ash wrote:

I can enjoy good music out of my laptop speakers. Hi-fi is secondary for my enjoyment.

Sorry Ash, my comments were aimed at the thread rather than your good self.

We've gone from plugging terminals to shielding the immediate environment to building a metal coffin to put our equipment in.

The equipment cases need all of there panels joined together with flat joints with a good surface area. As for holes vents and gaps in the casing it depends on the what your environment is like. Your wifi is probably your highest immediate source of microwave radiation at 5GHz which'll have a wave length of 60mm which is a big hole! Even at the end of the microwave spectrum 300GHz the wave length is still 1mm plus this would be a beam and your equipments holes would have to be in its direct path.

After microwaves comes infrared, the visible spectrum and then ultraviolet. Does light pass through solid metal? No. So next comes x-ray and then gamma rays. If your environment is subject to this end of the electromagnetic spectrum move because your living in Chernobyl or Fukushima!!
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 10:38am
Originally posted by Ernie Ernie wrote:

[....Even at the end of the microwave spectrum 300GHz the wave length is still 1mm plus this would be a beam and your equipments holes would have to be in its direct path....

I guess that most transmissions are beamed vertically, even from masts etc where the angle will be relatively shallow relative to the earths' surface (not satellites of course).

Is a possible explanation that by capping RCA/XLR sockets, we hear the effect of blocking beamed very high frequency interference? Inputs/outputs are almost always in the vertical plane whereas on my equipment any ventilation slots are on the top surface, usually an inch or two beneath another shelf/hifi component which may act as a partial shield in the horizontal plane. 

I'm usually a sceptic but having fitted these things, their effect is noticeable and positive.

Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
Ernie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 11:36am
Microwave communication transmissions are line of sight hence the old Post Office towers. Don't worry about them. It's 2.4 and 5 GHz that's your main issue, your wifi and at 12.5 and 6cm wavelength you'd basically have to take the lid off.

Mobile phones are just radio frequency so these won't both you either.

There's more than enough exposed cabling in your hifi system soaking up all of these induced and radiated fields to worry about the pin hole provided by the RCA.

There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
  Share Topic