FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Bi-wiring

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bi-wiring
    Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 9:59pm
Please could Graham or somebody with an equivalent understanding of how these things work please explain what bi-wiring is supposed to do. I no longer have a setup where I could use this but I am nevertheless puzzled by the second 'opinion' below where I see conflicting comments on other forums:

1. Bi-wiring is simply a means running two sets of wires - each carrying the full frequency range of the original signal to each section of the crossover. Bi-wiring alone does not eliminate any portion of the frequency range from arriving at the speaker inputs from the amplifier.

or

2. Bi-wiring benefits by removing detrimental low frequency energy from the cables carrying the delicate voice and imaging signal to midrange and tweeters and, to a lesser extent, providing a similar dedicated path to the woofer(s). The speaker’s crossovers will then draw only highs down the top cable and only lows down the bottom one yielding a substantial performance improvement in the cables. Low frequencies "see" the impedance in the hi-pass crossover at the amplifier output, therefore they do not traverse the hi frequency cable.

Is this latter the true reason for bi-wiring?
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 2:08am
If thought of as two separate loads being driven from one supply, would you use one cable to supply both, or would you use a cable for each?

If this was a power supply being used to do two separate tasks you would use a cable run for one and another for the other. On the other hand, if the tasks weren't too fussy you could get away with them sharing the one cable.

My central heating controller took its supply from the lighting circuit until I had a new boiler fitted when it was given its own supply from the consumer unit. I still use the same amount of LPG.

My answer is "use your ears" and if one way is better for you, do it that way.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
msphil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msphil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

My answer is "use your ears" and if one way is better for you, do it that way.

I couldn't agree with you more Graham. On my old Mission speakers bi-wiring sounded much better. However, on my newer PMC Fact 8 speakers they sounded noticeably better with only one speaker cable. I found the only way to find out was to listen.

'You are, through your soul not your body, a human being.'
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 10:16pm
+1. Phil's system sounded great to me too! However I preferred bi-wiring from amps to my GX300's, I agree Graham is right.

Partly to free up rack space I tried long balanced cables from Majestic each Proprius right next to its speaker, and really liked the sound. It's a very short cable run now. About a foot or 300mm long, so I used some Spatia hookup cable spare from internally rewiring most of my speakers. Any longer and I'd want proper Spatia cables built by John Cadman.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic