FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Why Vinyl??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213
Author
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2021 at 7:13pm
Peter
you have something there, the smell you get when you walk into a record shop be it new or old vinyl there is something about it, I have been into second hand book shops and they have that smell about them as you said comforting.
So it's not just you.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2021 at 8:11pm
Yes record shops have a reassuringly familiar smell, old paper and print in well ventilated ones...

Another noteworthy LP is the first The Beat LP. Tracks recorded on digital like Mirror in the bathroom.

Edited by Fatmangolf - 11 Aug 2021 at 8:12pm
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
fluddite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fluddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2021 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by Bi-wire Bi-wire wrote:

Some lovely evocative comments in this thread about the physical and tactile nature of vinyl (the sleeves, the artwork etc) but, as far as I can see, nobody has mentioned the smell. I love the smell of vinyl records and a warmed up system. There's something comforting about it  -  or is it just me? Embarrassed

I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!
fluddite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fluddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2021 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by Chris Firth Chris Firth wrote:

The BBC started using PCM feeds to the transmitters in 1972.

Ry Cooder's "Bop Till You Drop" (released in 1979) was the first major label album release in popular music - it had to be released on vinyl or tape because there were no consumer digital playback formats or equipment available.
It'll be the same with the Stevie Wonder LP.

The things you learn on the Interweb thingy, eh? Apparently Ry beat Stevie to the (vinyl + tape) marketplace by 3 and a bit months - and Tusk (in between the two) was only "mastered on the Soundstream PCM from analog multi-tracks" - so yah boo sucks to Lindsey B. Wink

Other zeros-and-ones fascinations - the first commercial digital release (on LP only, natch) turns out to be this one (recorded Jan 1971, released Feb 1972 - Denon PCM system with no edit facilities, so a bit like the direct-to-disc experience in recording terms):

And I had no idea that The Visitors was slated to be the first commercially available CD until the inevitable "production problems" enabled Billy Joel to sneak in first with 52nd Street (in October 1982, pop-pickers). Still, I'll continue to blame Brothers In Arms for everything that followed... Censored

f.
Bi-wire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bi-wire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by fluddite fluddite wrote:

Originally posted by Bi-wire Bi-wire wrote:

Some lovely evocative comments in this thread about the physical and tactile nature of vinyl (the sleeves, the artwork etc) but, as far as I can see, nobody has mentioned the smell. I love the smell of vinyl records and a warmed up system. There's something comforting about it  -  or is it just me? Embarrassed

I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!

I knew there was something special about Col Kilgore ...
Peter

Satisfied user of: Revelation M, PSU1-Enigma, Solo SRGII and lots of CuSat50
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213
  Share Topic