FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Ultrasonic Cleaning of vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 1:54pm
For really dirty LPs I recommend steam cleaning as part of the routine - it sounds scary but I've been doing this for over 20 years on all 2nd hand records with no noticeable damage as long as the vinyl slowly rotates during steaming. Apart from pre-existing scratches, this loosens/removes everything else.
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 10:54am
Originally posted by izafireman izafireman wrote:

I think this is the one I bought.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-Stainless-Ultrasonic-Cleaner-Ultra-Sonic-Bath-Cleaning-Tank-Timer-Heater-/252015247778?var=550877054239&hash=item3aad4781a2:m:mO_TCurwNjvscl3CRrVuEuQ
That's what I've got too.

For dirty second hand records I use Pure Vinyl fluid and a fine-tipped soft tooth brush with the record rotating on the turntable immediately prior to washing. I find this deals with finger marks and helps loosen ground in crud. 
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
peterb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 2:21pm
I have been wondering about spending the money on an ultrasonic cleaner, a lot of my LPs have grown marks having had to live in a damp cupboard against a solid outside wall !
I am tempted by the ebay offering from Poland, but it has its short comings, in particular the 40kHz frequency.
The following article seems to sum up details of the process in a sensible way, and provides an explanation for temperature rise. 
Enjoy! (isn't this the most annoying phrase adopted by the restaurant industry, or is it just me?)

Peter
---------------------------------------
Dual 505-1, Cyrus CD T, DIY 80W MosFet amp and PreAmp, 2xKEF 103.2
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 5:50pm
If your unit puts 100W of ultrasonic energy into the water it will heat up over an extended time of use.  Even ignoring heat losses 5 litres of water takes a fair bit of energy (4,200 Joules per kg/litre) to warm up so it would over 1/2 an hour to raise the temperature by 5 degrees if that's all the ultraonics did. Hence the 400 watt electric heater to get to 35 or 40 degrees centigrade if desired.

Peter's article does touch up the risk of damaging vinyl by brute force, i.e. very extended high power ultrasonics in hot water. It could damage the groove wall whilst removing the gunge from the gooves. Probably not from a few minutes though!

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
izafireman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote izafireman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 9:52pm
EEEEK ...you have me worried now as when using the U/S bath I have been keeping the discs in the liquid / exposed to U/S for 5 mins per 1/3 of a disc if spinning by hand and 15 mins per disc when revolving at 2 RPM ....so 7.5 mins per 1/2 of a disc I guess. The temperature has varied as the starting temp is 24C but takes 6 cycles of cleaning to reach 40c ...where I let it cool down. Hopefully I have not damaged the discs! The motor I set up is working well , just need a few adjustments to it before I decide on the final version. I have to say the discs look superb when done. My regime is mixing (from memory) 800mils triple distilled water with 200 mils isopropyl alcohol and 5 mils wetting agent. Before the discs go in the U/S bath I scrub along the groves with a felt paint pad soaked in the cleaning solution. I don't hoover dry but wipe the discs on a well washed micro fibre cloth which seems to do the trick then air dry for several mins.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 8:10pm
Is it possible to warm the water then apply ultrasonics? Either way a few minutes won't be a problem in my opinion and you'll hear if you have damaged any of the discs. I suggest trying water and wetting agent, see if the results are acceptable without the IPA.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic