FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Views on Upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Baflar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baflar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by Aussie Mick Aussie Mick wrote:

Do you only listen to vinyl? If you run other things through your amp then a good service will benefit everything you listen to.  [...]

Secondly, although I've not heard the Audiolab, so take this with a grain of salt, but I've not yet heard an onboard phono stage at that price of amp that couldn't be improved on by one of Graham's phono stages.
[...].

Thanks, Mick!  I think that second point is key.  The Audiolab 8000A was a phenomenon when it was launched, almost 30 years ago, and it outperformed anything else at its price point.  Unfortunately, Audiolab has gone through two changes of ownership that resulted in rather mediocre designs, but the current owners see fit to continue to sing the praises of the legendary 8000A: no doubt hoping that the 'heritage' will benefit modern sales.  (Long may Graham retain his independence!)  Check out:
http://www.audiolab.co.uk/about.php !

You've probably heard a wider range of integrated amps than I have, and to say that they could all be improved by a GA2C steers me towards the conclusion that I'm almost certainly going to have to hold my breath and empty my wallet: service the Audiolab AND buy the GA2C.  I've asked for a second loan period on the GA2C so that I can check it on the 'refurbed' Audiolab, but I can see the way this is going!

It would be a separate topic, but yes, I do listen to digital.  It all goes through my Chord Mojo DAC, a little device that punches way above its price point.  I've never been that impressed by CDs, but downloads at 192 kHz / 24 bit sound absolutely wonderful.

Cheers!
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 10:30pm
Multiple sources, I'd definitely get the amp serviced. For a great many years, starting in 1998, I used an Arcam Alpha 9. The volume pot finally became too scratchy to tolerate so I decided to get it fixed, and the dealer suggested a full service for not terribly much more. I'm glad I did, as it came back sounding better than I could remember.

Other integrated amps over the years included Rotel, Cyrus, Marantz and NAD, some owned, some borrowed.

Since purchasing a Reflex M I've had many friends wanting to hear it in their systems and I've always obliged. It's a very consistent performer regardless of partner. It only ever disagreed with one system, which turned out to be down to the speakers. Just a poor system match. It's why the loan scheme is so terrific.

As for the Mojo, I'm glad you've found better digital sound. There's so much material not available any other way. I've not heard it, but I have a couple of friends who love theirs.
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic