FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

It's not all about hifi...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2022 at 4:06pm
Thumbs Up
You are too right. I did a update on my portable music player and I would have lost my music that I had on it after I did it but as I had most on CD and two backs up's on hard drives I was OK, I also had a firmware update for my CD player but after that episode I did bother with it, probably wouldn't done any damage but I didn't wont to take the risk plus I didn't know what it was updating anyway or more to the point I didn't understand it, It's been working OK for a few years since I could have updated so to me I have not missed anything.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
McHolmeM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McHolmeM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2022 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

Then there's galloping inflation...

My system is unchanged since January 2019 when the Reflex C was replaced with an Accession MC. 

I'm happy with the sound but thought maybe new speakers could improve things.

With this in mind I visited the last Bristol show in 2020 to use it as a shop window.

I subsequently shortlisted three different floorstanders that met my criteria, all British-built models.  Then the pandemic hit so I shelved the idea of a home demo.

I've just resurrected the plan and looked at today's prices for the models under consideration. All prices have increased this year - one brand by 15% and the two models from the other brand by 13.8% and 19.5%.  

Looks like it will be shelved again...permanently. 
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2022 at 5:19pm
Those were wise investments Malcolm. In another hobby I asked a more experienced film photographer what was a good accessory to help me? He said a professional tripod. I asked what to avoid? He said cheap tripods.

Jon, it's good you had a reliable recovery route. Tech is great till it stops working as your article may have said.  I keep lots of backups of my digital photos and my music files. I also clone my system disk every month as a full rebuild was tiresome last time I did it.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2022 at 5:31pm
I have two back up's but I have a 3rd on the way as one is getting near five years old maybe older, I will still keep it but it'll be nice to have a new one. One day I'll get round to storing in the cloud, I do it now but not for music. At the end of the article it say you can see why people still like a hard copy of their music.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2022 at 5:57pm
Agreed. I've kept all my cd's in watertight boxes in the back store, once a coal shed. My records are in my living room.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2022 at 6:51pm
I like CDs & vinyl, I like digital too but only for back up not for new music (downloads I do too) It seems to me computer audio is too complicated as there is more things you have to think about, as being an old school engineer setting things by a dial & shims is more my thing so it goes with HiFi, Changing a physical component I understand, software I don't. The nice thing on this forum is we like both there is no biased to one or the other.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic