FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Predictive Rock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 5:11am
Originally posted by suede suede wrote:

It would be quite interesting to hear the different interpretations that members of the forum may have of this mammoth of a prog rock classic. Seeing as it's probably on many a member's desert island list (and not merely for the economy of its length).
Genesis have got some very cryptic lyrics in many of their songs but this has always felt rather straightforward to me as being about the perils of trusting in the words of state propaganda and organised religion - which has both all too often throughout history been fanning the flames of war while speaking beautifully of peace. Any other insights into the meaning of the lyrics I'd be happy to hear!
I used to have a tour programme (either Foxtrot or Selling England By The Pound, maybe both) with an insert containing a short explanation of the various parts of the song - something about two lovers & a series of religious-like experiences ending with apocalypse and finally Jerusalem. I don't try & understand or read too much into Suppers Ready - one of many hallucinogen inspired 60s-70s masterpieces.

(When I was at uni my mum cleared out my room leaving only a small box & all I have left now is a Hornby Flying Scotsman. ! I lost several gig programmes & momentos which would be worth quite a lot today).
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 5:38pm
So it's pretty much just your ordinary 23 minute long drug-fuelled psychedelic love song with undertones of biblical doom and nuclear destruction as well as being littered with religious imagery and allusions to farming. No wonder it still resonates so strongly today
Proprius, Reflex M, Solo UL, Bitzie, CuSats & Spatia
---------------------------------
Johan
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 1:36am
At least the LSD-fuelled young people of that time were largely peaceful. Contrast that with today's violent and lawless young, and the political support which says they should be given the "space to destroy".

The same group - Genesis, performed one song regularly, which was about a future unthinkable violent event.

Quote - Wikipedia: "The song was unusually aggressive for Genesis at the time, as most of their work consisted of soft, pastoral acoustic textures and poetic lyrics."

Quote - Peter Gabriel: "The lyrics for The Knife were partly me being a public schoolboy rebelling against my background. I'd been heavily influenced by a book on Gandhi at school, and I think that was a part of the reason I became a vegetarian as well as coming to believe in non-violence, as a form of protest. And I wanted to try and show how all violent revolutions inevitably end up with a dictator in power."

Egged on by people like this?

And his mate who succeeded in politicizing music recently...

So here's another Genesis track for your delectation

Sorry if you don't like me pointing out the obvious.

Edited by Graham Slee - 15 Jul 2017 at 1:36am
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
RichieCactus View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichieCactus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 7:37pm
Graham - could not agree with you more !

Rega RP8/Cartridgeman MM3/Thorens TD166/AudioMods VI/Accession/Croft RIAA/Arcam A85/Quad 21L
lwdykes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lwdykes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2019 at 1:35am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic