FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Bi-Wiring speakers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
jupiterboy View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jupiterboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 8:59pm
I'm a bi-wire skeptic because any explanation of why it is better gets pretty fuzzy, and I can usually deal with pretty fuzzy. However, I bi-wire my speakers. Here's why. If I have a nice run of speaker cable, and my speakers have a crossover that truly splits the tweeter from the mid-woofers, then my tweeters get a good bit more wire weight than they need, and I give my mid-woofers only half of the wire weight. I had a nice pair of 11 AWG cables and it was exactly like I describe. What I did was to downgrade my cables (within the same line, using the same technologies that I'd come to appreciate), using a 13 AWG wire for the mid-woofers and a 14 AWG run for the tweeters. Now, as someone will comment, this is odd, but the maker of the wire actually offered two largely identical speaker wires with the same materials and geometry, but two slightly different weights. My tweeters still have more wire than they need, but my mid-woofers have more wire by weight than if I had split the nicer 11 AWG cable. I'm also messing with the crossover a bit by doing this, and in my case I have a super simple cap and coil crossover, so I'm probably changing the voicing just a bit. I was also able to get the cable maker to give me a single termination at the amp end so I didn't have to fuss with spades and bananas or two sets of spades. Anyway, I attribute the sound I like more to the design of the cables than the bi-wire, but I'm happy.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2020 at 8:35pm
Hi all
If I had gone down the bi wire path and used the 10% that they say you should spend on cables I would have been spending well over £800 on cables as I also got new RCAs at the same time.
That is a lot of money for me and that sort of budget I think I would of got better sound spending that on new speakers in the end I went with the dealers advice on cables. AND I'm happy.
I spent around £500 in total, that left me with a good budget for new VINYL.
That's what HiFi is for (listening) to music 
(I got 8 new albums) and had a good time listening to them
Some times it is about being happy with what you have and not what you think you are missing out on
Good listening

Jonathan
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 9:25pm
There is a third option. If you have monobloc amps like the Proprius amplifiers you can have them very close to the left and right speakers. Then the speaker cables are really short (not much longer than the patch leads between the LF and HF speaker terminals) and I'd argue the much shorter cables eliminate most of the case for bi-wire. You will need longer signal cables from your source/preamp to the mono-blocs but these will probably be cheaper than long speaker cables.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic