FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Blasts in Manchester

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
itsmanhattan View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itsmanhattan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blasts in Manchester
    Posted: 23 May 2017 at 12:26am
I hate that music venues are being targeted more and more as a place to commit harm and violence. 

I hope that any and all members part of this group are safe and are unharmed with these horrible acts whatever and wherever they may be.

Manhattan
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 2:36am
Police report of 19 fatalities and 50 injured. Being treated as a terrorist attack. Witnesses say explosive packed with nuts and bolts. A second controlled explosion happened around 1:30am nearby. Such attacks aren't new to Manchester. When I was of a similar age to those attending the arena the IRA blew up a shopping centre. It's just that time forgot?
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
itsmanhattan View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itsmanhattan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 3:38am
I was in London during some of the IRA bombings and lost friends in Lockerbie, however, these new attacks seem more sinister and unpredictable.

It's the old saying better to have a smart opponent, rather than a crazy one, with crazy you can never anticipate what, when, or where. 

I can't help but feel, no basis in fact, that attacks on music venues is, in fact, an attack on western music in general and all that it proselytizes. I don't think that the IRA had any issue with western music.
Manhattan
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 6:20am
The IRA would give a 5 minute warning, but still managed to injure 200 in the 1996 Manchester bombing.

The "hotbed" related to this incident is a place called Moss Side in Manchester (see news reports). In the 70s it was a Police "no-go" area where "the brothers" could trade drugs openly. In the 90s gun crime there was rife. So is it any wonder that the perpetrator was off radar?

The problem is political correctness. If properly policed there would be cries of racism, so better not bother??
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
RichieCactus View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichieCactus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 9:20pm
There was a suggestion in some of the UK newspapers that this specific artist was targeted as she represents :
a) a confident female
b) high degree of sexuality in the lyrics & performance
c) with a young mainly female audience

I'd never heard of this artist so can't pass any comment.  And of course these comments might be part of the general spin from newspapers.

I do agree with itsmanhatten that these ISIS attacks feel a lot more threatening than what the IRA did (and I lived near Guildford when the pub bombing occurred).

Rgds
RC

Rega RP8/Cartridgeman MM3/Thorens TD166/AudioMods VI/Accession/Croft RIAA/Arcam A85/Quad 21L
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 1:27am
Keep calm, carry on, let us not upset anybody, thus ensuring more of this happens, because it bloody-well will, we just have to live with it, or die with it - more dead children, keep calm, light a few candles, hold a vigil, get prepared for more death. Protect chosen parts of the country or transport system with armed police and troops and thus ensure it moves somewhere else such that the unprotected places get their share! What a shambles - what a gross cock up! Political correctness kills our kids! Our adults! Our seniors! Let's just keep calm and let it carry on. Vote for who you like - they have no answers and never will.
RichieCactus View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichieCactus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 6:16am
I agree with you 100% Graham.

I'm keeping a close eye on President Duterte (Philippines).  My other half is from there.  He's not afraid to take direct positive strong action, and doesn't give a fig (being polite) for the PC reactions of the West.

Rgds
RC

Rega RP8/Cartridgeman MM3/Thorens TD166/AudioMods VI/Accession/Croft RIAA/Arcam A85/Quad 21L
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic