FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

na then

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bass man View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: na then
    Posted: 08 May 2017 at 7:54pm
hello there im new but not i joined about a year ago then ended up selling my hifi gear 
but now im back 
i just bought a L*nn basik mk1 with an akito mk1 with a k5 cartridge 
is it me or are the k5 shiiiite ha 
anyway got it plugged into a marantz 7003 with L*nn helix speakers 
has anybody got any ideas what cartridge i should get for the akito around £100-£200 am from yorkshire tha nuz

paul
am from Yorkshire tha nuz
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 3:27am
Audio Technica make L*nn "k" cartridges, and the k9 which most L*nn users like is the AT95E, which used to cost £20 yonks ago. We may still have one in stock, but it's an OEM version, which means it has a different colour stylus (black, I think). If we have then you can have it for £20. Is it any good? Read what "Mikey" had to say on it and several other cartridges at different price points: http://www.analogplanet.com/content/nine-cartridges-compared-reviewed-and-voting-results#BkJUfeBpS5m6X8Tq.97

By the way, he used an Era Gold V phono preamp which we gave him for review in 2004. Think he probably likes it... Wink

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
bass man View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 4:07pm
cheers graham 
you can still buy the at95 for £25 so hasnt gone up much ha 
i used to have a k9 on mi old rega p3 for a while and dint rate that either to be honest 
i will have that off ye if ye can find it graham,i will use it to burn a phono stage in im gonna buy off ye at some point 

paul
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 5:29am
Hi Paul, I've used the AT95E on and off for around 30 years to good effect, but a lot depends on how the signal is handled from it (and that goes for all cartridges). If you mean the last ounce of detail, you're right, it doesn't detail well, but what it does it does very musically, and much better than many other budget cartridges. This might sound like I'm rushing to its defence because I have a few available. Actually I'm not. I've had half a carton of these for umpteen years and never bothered putting them on offer.

The trouble with (some) phono stages is they continue to use wound polystyrene capacitors just because there was a fad about them in the 70s. I believe your amp does the same (but I could be wrong). Technically these caps are good but only because of their tolerance (usually around 1%). Their sound is very much like the material they're made of - polystyrene!

What has always got me about these capacitors is they're supposedly fast, rated at 1000V/uS, but they're a foil winding, which is inductive. An inductor has memory and so cannot change state too readily - call it flywheel effect. So all I can say is the method of measurement must differ from my understanding. Perhaps it's the "flyback" property they use (like a spring) to record such speed?? And thinking about it, it probably is, but that's not going to help circuit stability, and if circuit stability "flutters" then I suppose you'd get a polystyrene sort of sound.

I got better results from purportedly slow polyseter capacitors. The old Gram Amp 1 beat off its near rivals to win in a What HiFi test many years ago. I know at least one of them used polystyrenes. The polyester caps were stacked film so aren't inductive.

Sorry to waffle on, but folks simply don't get the engineering, they just think that a big name must be good - butter wouldn't melt in its mouth - that sort of thing.

I've always been of the opinion of credit where credit's due, and to know where it's due, the bigger picture has to be properly understood.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
bass man View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bass man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 12:03pm
Morning ish had a late one lasneet 4am bottle of gin
Went to see john to collect a communicator and had a coffee and a r8 old chin wag
Top bloke and even plays bass
Anyway so i connected phono stage up about 7 and by about 11 the vocals were sounding amazing
Kept playing lp after lp non stop till 4am but kept having to turn down as the missus kept shouting down
Just put iron maiden number of t beast on and cranked it up and she sounds sweet cant wait for it to burn in properly
paul
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic