FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

J. Geils - Apr. 11, 2017

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AGiLiT View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGiLiT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: J. Geils - Apr. 11, 2017
    Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 4:52pm
The passing of J. Geils was pretty well covered in the media. So much of what I read, though was highly inaccurate and none of the obituaries or other coverage I have seen over the years mentioned something about J. that is probably only known to a handful of people. I happen to be one of them and I'd like to share. I've never put it in writing because it is a long story best told over a couple of beers, and it could offend some people of a particular political persuasion, but here are the highlights:

During my college years in Boston, Massachusetts, back in the summer of '68 I was working for a small company owned by a couple of young, rich guys who decided it would be fun to manage rock and roll bands. One of their portfolio was the J. Geils Blues Band and I served as an occasional roadie for the band, and my duties also included chauffeuring J. around town on a couple of occasions when he needed to be some place.

This was also of course smack dab in the middle of the Vietnam War, and here comes the little known fact: J. was active with groups counseling young men on how to beat the draft or otherwise avoid military service, if they were so inclined. On one of our drives across town, he passed on to me an incredibly simple tip for something to do if called up for a draft physical that was highly successful in ensuring the military would find you unfit for service. I won't go into any details (here's where you would insert the beers), but a year later, when I actually had to go through the process, I applied his advice and lo and behold, it worked.

I've never regretted my actions; especially when 10 years later I met a young Vietnamese woman who grew up enduring the bombings and other vicissitudes of the conflict. Some years after that we were married and have been together ever since. I was always glad I never had to wonder whether I had a part in what fell on her and her family.

RIP, J.
Tony
Houston, TX
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 6:41pm
Nearest I got was when he was a support band to the 'stones' farewell tour at Roundhay park in 1982 I think?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic