FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Ultra or Linear?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 10:44am
You didn't mention media players, so what are you using?
sunToxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunToxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 6:58am
I am using a Qobuz subscription for CD quality streaming, they got their own player. Plus Winamp and VLC for streaming shoutcast and playing flacs.

The DT1770 is still in a 30 day testing period. If I decide to keep it, I will try that cable, thanks. Does it move the sound towards "warm"?
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 1:26pm
Do you use ASIO or WASAPI drivers with Winamp and VLC?
As far as I know there's no ASIO or WASAPI capability with the Qobuz web player.

The use of ASIO or WASAPI for audio playback basically gives the media player audio priority over system process audio.
It also stops any form of resampling and transcoding taking place, so the processing required is minimal.
The resultant gain in sound quality is readily apparent.

The headphone cable doesn't make the sound warm, but you do get an improved tonal balance - boom and tizz exaggeration goes away.
sunToxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunToxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 6:31pm
Qobuz got a standalone player now, you can choose between WASAPI, Directsound and ASIO. I simply used the default WASAPI. Same for VLC and Winamp unless they default to something else.

Edited by sunToxx - 26 Mar 2017 at 10:01pm
sunToxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunToxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 10:06pm
Just as a small update. I compared the DT1770 Pro (which I wasn't too happy with as it was quite tiring to listen to for longer periods), to a Shure SRH1540, a Denon AH D7200 and a Focal Elear. I had them all at home and tested and compared them extensively. The clear winner was the Focal Elear, as it has (for me) perfect clarity, incredible bass capabilities in bass depth (extension?) and impact and is not tiring at all to listen to. I will write a small review on Headfi for it. The closest came the Denon D7200, but it lost due to less impact and an uncomfortable headband. Not sure yet where I will be heading for from here, but buying a standalone amp for 800€ right now would in my eyes be kind of overkill having just bought the most expensive headphone in my life ;)

At some point I really do want to try the Ultra though. Quite curious.

Edited by sunToxx - 01 Apr 2017 at 10:10pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic