New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Easy peasy lemon squeezy digitalization achieved!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Easy peasy lemon squeezy digitalization achieved!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AGiLiT View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGiLiT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Easy peasy lemon squeezy digitalization achieved!
    Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 5:25pm
As mentioned elsewhere in the forums, I have only recently put a mothballed turntable back into service with the goal of finally being able to rediscover my youth, which has been packed away in cartons and cartons of vinyl sitting in a closet for 20 years, and to digitize some favorites for portability. I just wanted to share my success story in getting my first LP from vinyl to the cloud.

My first challenge was the need for a phono pre-amp.  I have been swapping between a Gram Amp 2 SE on loan from the US Loaner program and an old Hagerman Technology Ripper an audiophile friend of mine lent me to get me started.  Boy, I'm liking the Gram Amp 2 SE!

Evaluating the various pathways to get from analog to digital, with cost, convenience, and quality all as factors in the decision, I looked at:
  • Input via. a soundcard.  This would have been challenging, since my personal computer is a laptop and my wife's tower is nowhere near where the turntable sits.  I would have to buy a soundcard and probably build or buy another unit to house it. This also means unplugging and reconnecting the turntable from my receiver when I want to switch from listening to recording and bringing a computer into the audio equipment configuration to manage the digital capture workflow. Not very convenient and could be costly in the end.  
  • Using a USB interface.  This would have required either replacing the Gram Amp 2 SE, which unlike the Ripper, doesn't have a USB output, or supplementing it with an outboard A/D converter.  Basically the same issues as the soundcard solution.
  • Using a CD/RW Recorder.  In the end, this was the way I went.  It turned out to be an easy peasy lemon squeezy!
I bought a TASCAM CD-RW900MKII - a step up from a consumer grade unit, but still quite affordable.  I'm taking analog out from my receiver into the CD/RW recorder.  That way, I don't have to unplug and replug my turntable when I want to record.  There is a meter on the unit displaying the input / playback levels, and the input signal levels are adjustable so it's easy to set levels before recording.  Pop in a CD/RW disc; start recording; drop the needle; pause the recording to flip the album when side one finishes; restart; stop when album completes; finalize the disc and take it to the computer.  This produces two tracks:  one per side of the album.

Using Audacity software, which is free, it was quick and easy to trim out unwanted lead-in and run-out bits off the front and tail of the recordings, find the track separations, label the tracks, remove a couple of minor pops, and export to .mp3.  It will also do FLAC, which I will use if there is anything I want to archive, but since my goal is portability, .mp3 gives a nicer file size and the quality is just fine listening over Google Play Music from the cloud or transferred to a microSD card and inserted into a phone.  I'm sure I'll have things to learn to deal with special situations, but this is looking like a very manageable, efficient, and effective workflow with results that meet or exceed my expectations.

...and so the journey begins!

Tony
Houston, TX
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic