FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

The Metal and post 70's Rock Thread

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Gekados View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gekados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Metal and post 70's Rock Thread
    Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 7:17pm
Noticed the glaring hole in the music subforum section and thought to remedy that fact by creating this thread.
Basically rock and metal recommendations 80's and onwards.

Started out with music as a hobby around 1990 at 15 years of age, going with a few friends to the local hifi-store and dreaming about big JBLs and huge power amps.
All with the goal of getting the best experience from our metal and rock records. An yes, we played Dungeons and Dragons as well. Those were the days !

Let me from memory recommend a few of the records that were played the most :

Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark and Seventh Son
Metallica - Master of Puppets (I'm a huge Metallica fan still !)
Bolt Thrower - IVth Crusade (Still one of my favourite albums of all time)
Jon Bon Jovi - Young Guns II Soundtrack (and a few other albums)

After the teenage years, when we all went of to study in various locations, then I kind of drifted into death metal.

Here are a few recommendations from that period :

Six Feet Under (Warpath and Haunted albums are great! Newer stuff, not so much)
Pro-Pain - The Truth Hurts (my favourite album alongside Boltthrower). Against the Grain is also very good.
Bad Religion - The Process of Belief (could not believe my luck, when I discovered Bad Religion by accident).
Edge of Sanity - Purgatory Afterglow and Spectral Sorrows
Korn - Follow the Leader and Issues (must haves in any collection).
More Metallica (technically Thrash Metal I guess).

I'll follow up on this thread with more metal and rock albums that I really enjoy, and would like to share with everyone interested in those genres.

All of the above are still played on a regular basis here at home.
Guess I'll be playing a few of them tonight :)

Edited by gekados - 16 Mar 2017 at 7:18pm
I'm not harmful, just introspective. You can probably think I'm weird, but it's not harmful weird.
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 9:16am
Shame it's limited to just post 70's.
I still listen to some 70's rock & metal - Sabbath, Rush, UFO, Lizzy etc.
Later there were interesting NWOBHM bands like Saxon, Witchfynde, Leppard etc.
Iron Maiden's 1st album was strong with Di'Anno on vocals ,but have never been too keen on
Dickinson's voice.
Have a few excellent Opeth, Metallica, Satyricon albums.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Gekados View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gekados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 9:36am
There was already a thread for 70's rock, and I didn't want to double up on it.
A lot of 70's records that I enjoy as well, Eagles, Sabbath etc.

Forgot to add Manowar and Nirvana yesterday :)
I'm not harmful, just introspective. You can probably think I'm weird, but it's not harmful weird.
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 2:17pm
Two excellent 'post 70s' bands I have been listening to recently:

Avatarium - a Swedish group clearly influenced by Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Uriah Heep etc - melodic, heavy & quite psychedelic in places. The voice of Jennie-Ann Smith complements the heavy guitar riffing & keyboards very well. The LP 'The Girl With The Raven Mask' is exceptional in my opinion (especially turned up to 11...Wink)

Red Sun Rising - their debut album 'Polyester Zeal' is only on CD so far and is superb - every song is catchy and anthemic, production is first rate, hard rock with a lot of variety of tempo. Highly recommended.
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 3:26pm
A female singer in a metal band will be a refreshing change as many male singers are an earful.
Will give Avatarium a try - cheers.
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic