FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Mm or mc high output cartridge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
shashirao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shashirao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 7:31pm
Quick note of happiness:

I received my Clearaudio Charisma MM v2 cartridge yesterday. After toiling for an hour to align the cartridge - took a break...a pour of scotch....and voila...the very next adjustment aligned the cartridge perfectly. So I don't think its all about the technical mumbo jumbo about azimuth, VTA, tracking weight, etc. I believe there is a market to sell Scotch as the perfect solution for cartridge alignment Big smile

Now for the happiness part - the very first vinyl I played - a beaten up copy - played perfect.

The sound was amazingly detailed, the pairing with the Accession was a match made in heaven. The first thing I noticed was the amazing "quietness" in the overall playback. The singers now truly sounded as performing in a studio. The vocal modulations, sighs, whispers, etc. was clearly audible.

This was a stereo vinyl - the instruments were all there and perfectly placed. No one stole the violins on the sly. I am unsure on the details aspect - perhaps it is my MC cart listening experience that tells me the clarity is missing. But I am quite sure it is all there...just sounds a bit different.

Of course there is also the standard process of "breaking in" the cartridge. And if that is a true concept, all I can expect is better reproduction with time. So yaayy!! Already impressed with the ground floor view....am sure the penthouse will offer a panoramic view.  

Next I played a mono vinyl...this was a CBS publication. My previous experience with my MC cart (Presentation) was stunning clarity - to the point of being harsh on high notes and reverb that sounded like Stereo (percussion sound heard spilling out into the right speaker).

My experience with 2M Black was that the same recording was subdued - no harsh tones. But also subdued to the extent of instruments overlapping or hidden behind the vocals.

And now with the Charisma - the best of both worlds - amazing clarity, all the sounds very much under control and amazing details. The "stereo" like imaging still exists...more like instruments can now be placed in different spots. Oh joy o joy!

As I mentioned before - the Accession now remains my reference equipment for analyzing/understanding the differences between the cartridges. So carts may come and go...Accession will always remain powered up in my music room!

Cheers
Shashi
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 10:23am
Whilst I usually to do my alignments 'dry' i.e. sober (where's the 'boring' emoticon?) I strongly agree with you about taking breaks when fine tuning the setup. Very good advice thank you and it's helped you to get the best out of the lovely equipment you have for enjoying music.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic