FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Reflex M Reflections

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
hifistokie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hifistokie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reflex M Reflections
    Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 8:49pm
Evening all

Having returned to the world of hi-fi and in particular vinyl fairly recently after a long lay off I found myself feeling the need to improve on the inbuilt phono stage in my MF A300 amp.

I had heard of Grayham Slee but was delighted to learn about the loan scheme which struck me as being very fair indeed.I expressed an interest in the Reflex M and the Accession and I have just spent 2 enjoyable weeks with the Reflex and I thought my “thoughts” might be of interest.

This unit is a big BIG improvement on the inbuilt stage,I am no expert writer and do not wish to sound like a WHF reviewer but here goes my attempt on just ONE track. I listened to “Hotel California by The Eagles,a favourite of mine for years,many times.

The tinkling intro is enticing,attack of percussion,imaging and spacing are greatly improved,guitar sounds somehow cleaner and there is a shimmer at the top end of the scale which seemed new to me. Pauses seem “blacker” particularly before the “mirrors on the ceiling”line and the main guitar solo rolls in so sweetly,when the single cymbal strikes it hangs in the air .

Whilst all this is going on the vocals are fitting into the mix crisp and clear as part of a cohesive whole. All in all as good as I have ever heard this track.

So that's it,a great experience ,I thought to “review” just the one track but I will add

Nils Lofgren “Cry Tough” just fabulous

Jefferson Starship “Red Octopus” Grace Slick on “Miracles” heavenly

Leonard Cohen “Songs of” 20 seconds into “So long Marianne” I was singing (poor reviewer me,yes I know) but I was truly back in those good old days gone by when music was what we talked about in bars,clubs and dance halls whilst looking for the next main chance with some lovely Marianne or other.

Having said all that I doubt I will be buying the Reflex because I am now waiting with bated breath for the chance to try the Accession.I have read the reviews and I think the rationale behind this unit seems somehow correct too.

Can it be another peg up from the Reflex as many seem to think? I do hope so because I am enjoying all this immensely

My thanks to FATMANGOLF for his assistance in regard to the loan period.

Cheers

Dave

Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 10:43pm
Look forward to your accession review with interest having had the ERa gold, revelation (similar to reflex ) - now Accession.
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 8:37am
Hi Dave,
The ReflexM is a high quality phono stage & I would say it competes with & betters some of
the Hifi mags' much more costly favourites.
IMO the Accession has stronger 3D imaging/soundstaging & sounds just a little bit more 'natural'
with a little more air & space for want of a better description.
Whether the Accession is an improvement for you could depend on the rest of your system.
Thanks to the loan scheme you have the opportunity to find outSmile.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
hifistokie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hifistokie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 3:28pm
Hi
Thanks for your comments

My vinyl system is Lp12/Nima/Adikt into a MF A300 dual monobloc amp feeding a pair of Spendor A6 speakers.No fancy dan cables just good quality copper.

In truth it sounds pretty good but the Reflex M,as I posted,was a big improvement over the inbuilt stage.I am looking forward to a trial of the Accession via the excellent loan scheme

I will of course post my findings.

Regards

Dave
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 4:02pm
I think you'll be impressed Dave.Smile
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 2:59am
So, Dave,
    Thoughts on the Accession?
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic