FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Upgrade Dilemma, What Should I Do!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
admarx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote admarx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upgrade Dilemma, What Should I Do!!
    Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 7:36pm
I need some advice folks, I have been reading many posts here but none really answer my question (I'm not sure there is a definitive answer by the way), so I thought I would ask.

Like a lot of people I am winding the clock back to my vinyl days and I am using a 90's L*nn LP12 and Ittok LVIII to do it.  Some years ago I fitted an Ortofon MC25FL which didn't get much use at all, I guess no more than 200 hours or so and so far as I can tell it is in pretty good nick.  I am using a Trichord Dino (original model) into my all Naim system with Epos ES22 speakers on the end.

I'm happy with it, don't get me wrong but I consider that I might not be getting the best out of what I understand is a very fine cartridge at its price point.  The issue is this..... If I don't change the cartridge and go for a better phono stage (I might push the boat out and go for a Reflex C) leaves me with the choice of new MC cartridge when the time comes.  That's fine, on balance this my best choice given that I will have a very capable phono stage in place already.

I have reviewed the range of MC stages on offer - does anyone consider that I should / need to go all the way to a Reflex C or will a Gram Amp 3 suffice?  If I were to change the cartridge are there any particular stand-out MC options out there especially suited to my setup, at a reasonable price of course.

Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 8:32pm
Welcome aboard Andrew. Please PM me and I'll be pleased to help with a loan that will only cost you the postage to try both phono stages.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic