FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Elevator Exp setting for Ortofon Cadenza

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
shashirao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shashirao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Elevator Exp setting for Ortofon Cadenza
    Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 5:13am
I have changed my cartridge and installed the Ortofon Cadenza Mono. My setup is the Elevator Exp and Accession pre-amp. Currently I have setup the Elevaror at 840ohms input impedence setting.

However I am getting hard clipping in my digitization effort. I have tried to reduce the input volume to -8db. 

What is the best setting for the Elevator EXP input impedence?

The Orthofon Cadenza details are:

Output voltage at 1 kHz 5 cm/sec - 0.45 mV
Frequency range at -3 dB - 20 Hz - 50 kHz
Frequency response 20 Hz - 20 kHz - +3/-1
Tracking ability at 315 Hz at recommended tracking force *) - 70 μm
Compliance, dynamic, lateral - 12 μm/mN
Stylus type - Nude Fine Line on Alu cantilever
Stylus tip radius - r/R 8/40
Tracking force range - 2.2-2.7 g (22-27 mN)
Tracking force recommended - 2.5 g (25 mN)
Tracking angle - 20º

*) Typical value

Internal impedance, DC resistance - 5 Ohm
Recommended load impedance - 50-500 Ohm
Cartridge body material - Stainless steel Aluminium
Cartridge colour - Natural/Black
Cartridge weight - 10.7 g

Thanks

Shashi

DaveG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 6:34am
Hi Shashi

I use 100ohm on my cadenza bronze and quintet black. Before that I used a kontrapunkt B with the same loading. I've played with other settings extensively in the past but this suits me just fine. Haven't changed for years

Edited by DaveG - 13 Feb 2017 at 6:35am
Dave

Michell Gorbe + HR PSU -> Cadenza Bronze -> SME V -> Elevator -> Accession -> Proprius -> B&W CM6 s2 | Cusat 50 & Spatia cables ->
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 3:07pm
Try reducing the output to the ADC even further. By what you describe this is an overload going into the ADC. At full out on the Accession volume controlled output you'll have 1.3 volts based on your cartridge output and the Elevator EXP gain.

Setting the indicated input on the ADC to -8dB can often be insufficient and that's because vinyl can output up to +14dB (5 times rated recorded level) in the mid range. PPM recording meters red-line at +8dB (2.5 times rated recorded level), but by which time they'll have overshot, so it's best to err on the safe side.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
shashirao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shashirao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 3:40pm
Thanks for the prompt responses. 

I will set the Elevator at 100ohms - perfect. (Got greedy and thought 840ohms sounded better...maybe I am losing my hearing)

Graham - as always you have hit upon the right issue. I am using the Tascam DA-3000 for my digital archival. I had input level at 0db - that obviously did not work. I tried -8db and that worked fine except for a couple of bloops that must've escaped past that barrier. I will now try -16db. 

My only worry on reducing the input level was not to lose out on any sound or listening experience. 

The Tascam also has settings for reference levels. It is currently set on -16db (default) but has options for -9, -14, -16, -18 and -20 dBFS. Would you recommend any change from the default?

And a quick note on the mono vinyl listening experience. I changed from the Miyajima Zero to the Cadenza. For the last year or so I was under the Miyajima spell and thought things could not get any better. In fact I was contemplating selling off the Cadenza. But on a lark, I tried with my Accession/Elevator setup. And Bamm!!!! the Cadenza for whatever reasons handles the 7in vinyls (45rpm) with amazing dexterity. Thanks to the Accession, there is hardly any noise typical of those beaten up and abused 7in vinyl. And the Accession-Cadenza now pair to offer an amazing level of clear extended sound which has all the brightness that was missing before. For a layman listener like me - I can not only clearly hear the strings but also distinguish between the various strings playing. The Accession provides the detail of every instrument till the last drop. Now I am doing an archival of my essential vinyls using the Accession-Cadenza combo.

Next I have a bunch of 12in vinyls that are reissues of soundtracks previously published on 78rpm shellacs and some even on previous vinyl issues. So here with this bunch, the listening experience is specific to the vinyl's source...there is quite some noise in the recording itself...and hence the need to now play around with the Tascam's input levels.

Cheers
Shashi
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 10:04pm
Vinyl dynamic range covers approx. 13 bits. CD covers 16 bits. Difference 3 bits. 3 bits = 18dB, so -16dB isn't going to wreck it.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic