FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

2500+ Members Now

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 8:08pm
Well, Bob, you must also agree that when Graham's kit does such a good job it also results in some degree of financial stress! 💸💸💸
However, luckily I'm able to tell myself that, in Australian dollars, $1,400 of GSP Audio phono stage is more involving than $4,500 of big name competition I've had at home. So, that's $3,100 I'll LOSE if I don't buy an Accession...
Good thing I don't run the economy...
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 9:28pm
I have used the terms "microdynamics" and "macrodynamics" to compare the sound produced by headphone/speaker drivers. I don't think it's BS.

Microdynamic=small/subtle change in volume

Macrodynamic=large change in volume

For example, in my opinion, the HD800 has improved microdynamic resolution compared to my old HD540II. The Mark Audio Alpair 12P has improved microdynamic resolution over the 7P too in my opinion. By this, I mean that small changes in volume are more distinct and audible. I find this to often be the case with larger emitting surfaces that are well designed and very articulate in presenting delicate subtleties.

Macrodynamic resolution is perceiving large changes in volume (many people would just call this "dynamics" and be done with it). Macrodynamic resolution (being able to hear the difference between very loud and very quiet) is aided by a well mastered, non-loudness-war recording and using a transducer that delivers a fairly even frequency emphasis. My example of a big difference in macrodynamic resolution is HD600 vs HD250II. The upper bass emphasis of the HD600 alters the tonality and macrodynamic presentation. Aspects of the music mix can be louder than they should be so when the loudness change comes, it might not have the impact it should.

This is how I would personally attempt to describe the difference. I think it's a straight to the point description rather than a BS anecdote. It's helpful to describe how big a change in volume sounds rather than just say "it changes". Just me?

Edited by Ash - 01 Mar 2017 at 9:40pm
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2017 at 10:59am
Originally posted by Aussie Mick Aussie Mick wrote:

So, that's $3,100 I'll LOSE if I don't buy an Accession...
"Graham saves you money" LOL
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2017 at 12:33pm
In all seriousness, though. I can't bring myself to buy anything these days just because it's good value or just because it's excellent. It really needs to be both. Good value for money that's also an excellent product.
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2017 at 12:42pm
I should clarify...the very expensive phono stage I listened to at home sounded incredible in terms of colours and textures. Truely beautiful. However, after getting over being ravished, I found myself uninvolved with the music, reading a book, pottering. To add to the problem, the mark up we often suffer in Australia meant in real terms it cost three times what it cost in its country of origin! So, not good value.
Along came the Reflex M...
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by BAK BAK wrote:

Here's hoping for an exponential curve ... already @ 2517 !Thumbs Up

See my signature ...

We are progressing at one new member every 32 hours. it will be Jan 15 2018 when we reach 3000 at this rate. Exactly the same rate as it has been since 2008...

See my signature ...
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic