FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Noisy pc what option should I choose?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 11:29pm
Plus you could take the previously mentioned PC considerations like completely fanless and highly heatsinked for something like an Intel Celeron or Pentium CPU system if you want something low power but with all the low noise benefits.
musicdude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 2:36am
Agree Ash. I also have a 10 year old HP laptop with a Centrino chipset and use it to stream some music from Youtube for background music and it works just fine and it's portable.The USB is usually plugged into an other Dac and it sounds pretty good. 

Edited by musicdude - 15 Feb 2019 at 2:40am
Andy

ProJect Xtension 10 with Clearaudio Charisma V2, GA2 SE, Majestic DAC, CuSat50, Yamaha CD-S1000, Yamaha M-80, Revel F-52.
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 7:21am
Originally posted by BackinBlack BackinBlack wrote:

I may be missing the point here, but why are such powerful PCs deemed necessary for managing and processing audio files?

They're not.
I have Squeezebox Touch players, a Raspberry Pi doing the server interfacing, and a cheap and cheerful NAS box for local library storage.
Sounds great!

You do need to learn a fair bit about networking computers, which does put a lot of folk off.

gwebster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gwebster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 9:41am
Originally posted by Chris Firth Chris Firth wrote:

a Raspberry Pi doing the server interfacing, and a cheap and cheerful NAS box for local library storage.
Sounds great!
You don't even need the cheap and cheerful NAS for storage - my music library is stored on the Raspberry Pi along with the Volumio app. Works great.

My Bitzie does the last part in getting the music to my pre-amp/amp. Al in all, it sounds great and, to top it all, I can control it all from my phone.

Edited by gwebster - 15 Feb 2019 at 9:42am
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 1:35pm
For me simplicity is the key. I too use Raspberry Pis with Moode. 
The main one has touchscreen, 500GB SSD and connects to my Majestic via USB; will reinstate the HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro when I get a decent 5V power supply. Wink
There are 2 other Pis in the house, which using Moode also have access to the main SSD and of course the NAS which has more music.
Some users have reported a slight improvement in sound quality by underclocking their Pi, so less could be more. Something I will try when the power supply is sorted.

Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by gwebster gwebster wrote:

You don't even need the cheap and cheerful NAS for storage - my music library is stored on the Raspberry Pi along with the Volumio app. Works great.

My Bitzie does the last part in getting the music to my pre-amp/amp. Al in all, it sounds great and, to top it all, I can control it all from my phone.

The only reason I have the NAS is because it runs LMS.
Unfortunately Spotify decided to change their delivery method, and the processor in the NAS is an ARM processor, and is unable to run the script that is now required to get LMS to interface successfully with Spotify.
In order to get LMS to interface with Spotify I needed to use something that can run the new script, and that's where the RasPi comes in.
The NAS preceded the RasPi by a good few years. LMS is now turned off on the NAS.

All in all the RasPi does a far better job of file serving than the NAS ever did.

Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 7:56pm
I may indeed also discover that less is more. Just as I did with headphones, I will continue to experiment with things until I obtain what I'm looking for.

I don't regret buying a PC that is ready to use in less than 15 seconds after you push the power button though, and shuts down in 2 seconds. I could try really underclocking my CPU to see if it affects music reproduction. Thoughts for another day.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic