FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Townshend Isolation Platform

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Townshend Isolation Platform
    Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 4:16pm
Hi all,
One of my turntables is placed on the top shelf of a glass & wood rack which stands
on a suspended chipboard floor.
The rack is quite wobbly, the turntable is affected by footfall & is probably not giving
its best potential sound quality.
Another wall shelf is a bit impractical so I was wondering if anyone has any experience
of the latest Townshend isolation platform with its spring 'load cells' which are capable
of isolating vibrations from 4Hz up I believe.
I have tried sorbothane feet under a platform which, as expected, made only a slight difference.
Cheers.
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 8:26pm
Rich hi could be a reasonable option. Is the wobble caused by the floor or rack instability o the floor?   

Do you use spikes?

Depending on how sits on the floor could you look at say a granite base fixed to the floor and the rack mounted on the granite with or without decoupling between floor and granite and granite and rack? Could use something like Townsend or still points as isolator with granite providing firm foundation?
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 7:48am
Hi Richard,
The rack is an oldish Stands Unique tower, which because of its construction I would imagine
will probably wobble a little even on a solid concrete floor. It has 4 wooden spiked legs which
are all well grounded through the carpet into the floor.
A granite base could be an option if it would be a barrier to footfall transmitting up into the rack
and affecting the turntable on the top shelf.
A more stoutly built rack, such as one from HiFi Racks is another thought.
Cheers.

Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 2:04pm
Cheers yes I have my eye on a hifi racks unit but not as easy to substitute as one of Graham's little boxes!!!
McHolmeM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote McHolmeM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 2:23pm
My set up is pretty much the same as yours.

The Stands Unique tower celebrates its 20th birthday this month, not the most rigid of constructions. It's also located in a room where there is a chipboard floor. 

In my case the turntable sits on the top glass shelf but mounted on a 40mm solid beech board with 4 Vibrapod isolators underneath. Does the job well and was inexpensive (the brand new and unused John Lewis chopping board was bought on eBay for £6!) 

Malcolm

RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 3:21pm
Interesting solution Malcolm. A chopping board & Vibrapods would be worth a try.
Of the two decks I own the Roksan TMS is worst affected by footfall & the SRM Arezzo
much less so. Both use compliant suspension.

Your Origin Live Calypso looks very smart.
McHolmeM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McHolmeM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 5:20pm
The Calypso is a fairly recent acquisition, Rich.

I've been using an OL Silver Mark III tonearm for a while now which was bought second hand a couple of years back. Thought I'd retire the ageing much modified old turntable and marry it up to one of their turntables whilst I still have hearing good enough to appreciate it! 

Had an extended demo at Southampton last year and took this one away with me and I'm very pleased with it. All areas of vinyl replay have been significantly improved. I'm now thinking about adding the upgrade balanced transformer which was introduced into the mix in the final segment of the demo.

Although I use a Reflex C the demo there featured an Accession and Elevator. Now that would be nice too...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic