FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Mains Cable Upgrades

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jwatson View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mains Cable Upgrades
    Posted: 19 Dec 2016 at 6:16am
This is a follow up to a post from a while ago in which I mentioned that I'd ordered some Furutech FI-8N Rhodium Fig. 8 Connectors to re-terminate some branded cables that I bought a few years ago for use with the PSU1 outboard power supplies providing power to my Majestic and Solo Ultra-Linear DE Headphone Amplifier.  

Some background: I purchased the donor cables a few years ago from Riyadh's last hifi shop as it was was closing its doors for the last time (and was indeed gone later that afternoon).  Despite my initial misgivings regarding the effect of a mains cable on perceptible audio quality, the deal I was offered (around  10% of their current retail price) was too good to pass up.  In the event, I felt that they did effect a minor improvement when used with a Cyrus CD8 CD player (internal power supply) but made no discernible difference when used with a couple of SET amplifiers that I built. 

Replacing the original IEC connector with the Furutech connectors was straight forward (they really are well engineered connectors) and I pulled the 3A fuse from the original leads and used them with the new cables.  I also swapped out the DC power cable connecting the PSU1 to the Solo to a screened cable which looks more attractive but made no difference at all.  I've kept this cable connected only because it's cut to length and looks tidier.

The cables certainly look a lot better but after a couple of weeks of use I'm not sure that I can hear any significant difference between these and the stock cables.  I've not been able to perform any blind testing yet but am hoping that a vist from a hifi friend over the Christmas period will get another pair of ears to listen to the system and help with some blind tests but there's certainly no 'night and day' effects that are sometime reported by some (paid) reviewers.

I'm guessing that the results are a testment to the of the PSU1 as much as anything; its design already preventing mains borne noise from entering the audio equipment.  It will be intersting to see if things change during the summer months when all the Air cons are switched back on and the mains quality drops but in my case at least I'd suggest that money spent on upgrading the cables supplied with the PSU1 would be better spent on more music.

For the testing I was listening to a combination of electronic/industrial and acoustic music on HD650 headphones using a Rasperry Pi III connected directly to an SSD containing 16-bit / 24-bit FLAC files, feeding the DAC input of the Majestic.  (I'm awaiting delivery of a hifi berry digi board to use the S/PIDF input of the Majestic in the coming weeks).

Kind regards

James

"I bought some more old vinyl today 'cos old vinyl won't ever let you down"
Majestic DAC -> {Proprius -> Tannoy Stirling | Solo UL -> HD820}
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2016 at 6:23pm
Interesting. Your findings do not reflect my own but of course there are variables, the ones which spring to mind include:
* mains quality
* mains bourne interference
* airborne interference
* cabling used
* source equipment
* installation
* ears.

I have only used one known mains cable to me on the PSU which is likely to be a factor as they are proven quantities.
Two further points plugs and cabling will need burning in (maybe 200 hours+) and the advice I have received from my supplier is that audibly the gold is superior to the Rodium although that should not stop a difference being noticed and of course may be a little subjective.

At least you have tried and after say 300 hours switched on may be worth switching back and listening again.
jwatson View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2016 at 6:11am
Hello Richard,

I'd agree that as single elements of a greater system, results of cable swaps will be somewhat dependant upon the items you've identified so will likely lead to different results.  Not wishing to fall foul of the forum rules regarding other manufacturers I'll simply say that the replacement cables I’ve used are screened and comprise seven conductors (three live, three neutral and one earth).  I'm unable to see how these are arranged within the cable but the exposed end suggested some form of weave.  

I'll keep listening and see if I can get someone to help out with some blind testing when I get a chance.  I should note that I'm in temporary accommodation at the moment while having some major building work done and haven't confirmed that the earth terminal on the outlet I'm using is actually connected to ground (not always the case in Saudi I'm afraid) so maybe posting my findings may be a little premature.

I'd be interested to repeat the exercise with some Belden 83803 which we use occasionally at work.  This is very good at eliminating EMI isues in very harsh environments (i.e. 5 HF-UHF radios up to 150W each in a single HMMWV).  What type of cable did you find made a difference?

Kind regards

James

"I bought some more old vinyl today 'cos old vinyl won't ever let you down"
Majestic DAC -> {Proprius -> Tannoy Stirling | Solo UL -> HD820}
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2016 at 6:55am
Hi, thanks for the update.

Another variable of course could be that Saudi electric is different to East Yorkshire electric!

Personally if a blind test is needed the results are too small to call so within experimental error. I have had these experiences on some things but never cables.

I think the brand would have to come via a PM due to forum rules as a Graham also makes cables. Please send me a PM if interested.
Chrispyduck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrispyduck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 8:03pm
Just to add that I use Belden 83803 cable throughout my system, and ss far as mains cables go I found this to be the most cost effective, and sensibly priced, I have a psu1 and it made a marked improvement, using an iec to fig8 adapter too (which are far from ideal).

Edited by Chrispyduck - 27 Jan 2017 at 8:04pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic