FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Jazz Recommendations?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
Ashleip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ashleip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 5:23pm
Out last week - Roundtable pressed up Amancio D'Silva's Konkan Dance. Recorded at Lansdowne Studios in '72 and never released as part of the Lansdowne series (although it has been around digitally since the turn of the century).

kgilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kgilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 11:20am
I always used to consider Nat King Cole "my parents type of music" but recently bought a couple of his albums and was really impressed with this one:

This is a small jazz group performance rather than the lush romantic orchestral stuff he is famous for and the instrumental work is terrific.  He was of course a major jazz pianist before he started singing.  The whole record has a different vibe.
Keith

Marantz TT-15S1, Maestro V2, Accession MM, Icon Audio Stereo 40 Mk lll, Wharfedale Jade 3.

Mac Mini, BitPerfect, Dynaudio Xeo2

Marantz SA-15S1, Apple TV, Cambridge CXA60, B&W DM2000, REL Sub
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by kgilroy kgilroy wrote:

I always used to consider Nat King Cole "my parents type of music" but recently bought a couple of his albums and was really impressed with this one:

This is a small jazz group performance rather than the lush romantic orchestral stuff he is famous for and the instrumental work is terrific.  He was of course a major jazz pianist before he started singing.  The whole record has a different vibe.

I'll have to add this to my wishlist. I'm with you on that - my dad loved stuff like NKC, Sinatra, etc. As I've got deeper into jazz and my tastes have expanded a bit I can appreciate some of this stuff now. I've often wondered about NKC's jazz sessions but I've never heard any of them. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
TheScorpionsTale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TheScorpionsTale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 9:13am
Back in January I pre-ordered the latest Rune Grammofon offering by Fire! (Mats Gustafson and friends), which arrived at the weekend. In addition to honking his sax, on this one Mats gets to honk his flute too (yes, really). It's all underpinned by some rhythmic bass and drum continuo. To judge from previous posts, I've a feeling this one might fall on stony ground here, but I invite you to take a listen:

Graham

SL1200 II with SME M2-9R and various carts / Revelation M with PSU-1 / Cyrus amp, CD and streamer / Kralk Audio BC30-3 Floorstanders / Bitzie and Lautus USB
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by TheScorpionsTale TheScorpionsTale wrote:

Back in January I pre-ordered the latest Rune Grammofon offering by Fire! (Mats Gustafson and friends), which arrived at the weekend. In addition to honking his sax, on this one Mats gets to honk his flute too (yes, really). It's all underpinned by some rhythmic bass and drum continuo. To judge from previous posts, I've a feeling this one might fall on stony ground here, but I invite you to take a listen:

I'm slightly familiar with the label due to some of their releases back in the late 90s and very early 2000s. I haven't heard anything really since then. I remember liking a few releases by Supersilent. 

SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 11:30pm
Here is a sample of Skywalk - Silent Witness:

not silent, and a large dynamic range...

Edited by BAK - 09 Mar 2021 at 11:28pm
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
  Share Topic