FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

hello from newbie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
hifistokie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hifistokie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 10:22am
Hi

Hello from one newbie to another.Just returning to hi- fi since downsizing house move curtailed my hobby of last 30 yrs(amateur radio and now the big masts and beam antenna gone!)
L*nn lp12 (Nima/Adikt ) into an MF A300 150w dual mono intergrated and Spensor A6 speakers here.I am just loving vinyl since upgrading the old L*nn with Peter Swain and the phono stage in the amp is doing a pretty good job.I just feel that improvements can be made in this area.Hoping for loan of an Accession which seems to offer a radical approach but also has a lot of features,all good,which would be of no use to me but we will see.

I hope we both get some assistance here,seems a nice laid back no agro forum !!

Happy new year to you and all other members and btw any comments re Accession or Reflex would be appreciated by me

Best Regards
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 10:52am
Welcome to the forum David.
You will be very surprised by the Accession, in a pleasant way of course.
It would be worth trying it with CuSat or Lautus interconnects to really get the best from it. Jon also has these in the loan stock I understand.

Happy Listening
Ian
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 12:46pm
Another welcome from me, David . . .

Both the Reflex and Accession are stonking pieces of kit, but the Accession ups the bar even further on imaging and detail. I didn't think I had much use for the "British" and "American" EQ settings on the Accession, but I find I use these more and more for tweaking the tonal balance of less than "perfect" recordings, plus the mono switch is great, and as I do a lot of ripping the variable output control is brilliant.

The loan scheme is mandatory, really, to get a proper impression of what the equipment can do for your system. As Ian said, too, trying out Graham's interconnects is highly recommended as these are what the phono stages were developed with . . .

Have you seen this recent review of the Accession?
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
hifistokie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hifistokie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 3:50pm
Hi Gents

I had not seen that particular review,most interesting so thanks for that.

I can see why this "dual" way of looking at eq should work well although I am a complete novice in this area and I am certainly looking forward to trying out this bit of gear.
Now interconnects,well,I have never believed that cables or other such like could affect sound one bit BUT I thought the same about mats but I now have a felt mat on the deck which is audibly "better" on one side.I think I have worked out why but I will not bore you with that!
It is a strange world this,I connected my very old LP12 up about 12 months ago and it sounded pretty good but the replacement,well an old skeptic like me never expected to say "night and day" like a WHF critic but that is about the truth of it.I remember the old rubbish in rubbish out maxim from years ago and it still holds true.Talking of out, OUT went the old Mordaunt Short speakers soon after and in came the Spendor A6 (a very lucky local private purchase) and again  "night and day".

Why,you may be asking,is this guy not just happy listening in this musical nirvana ?
Well,I just think that the MF phono stage can be improved upon,their intergrated stages were once considered reasonable I believe but it is my intention to upgrade the amplification at some stage and the incoming will not have a phono stage so this is a good point to start I feel.

There are ADC features on the Accession which do not interest me but that is a small thing really, I really do appreciate the possibility of trying it AND the cables because if they make an appreciable difference they go on the list for sure.

That's it for now my daughter bought me  "Nantucket Sleighride" by Mountain 180gm mastered by Joe Reagoso at Friday Music in the States,I have almost melted the thing in the last few days,its that good and I feel another session coming onEmbarrassed

Again,thanks all.

Dave

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic